For a summary of committees and additional EDI initiatives, please see below:
The Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Steering Committee is a standing committee at the Institute of the Study of University Pedagogy at the University of Toronto Mississauga. Faculty and staff serve on the EDI steering committee and support the implementation of EDI initiatives that stem from our four working groups.
ISUP’s four working groups include;
- The Anti-Black Racism Working Group
- The Accessibility Working Group
- The Linguistic Equity Working Group
- The Indigenous Working Group
Our working groups help drive conversations, provide support and make recommendations that help the Institute foreground EDI principles and perspectives into our academic mission and administrative operations.
Some of the initiatives this last year include:
- Redesigning our space with Indigenous art, accessible furniture and displays that are more inclusive and represent our diverse community
- RGASC website refresh, which included updating our content and resources to be AODA compliant, removing ableism language and including more representative photos
- Investing in software (AdobePro, PADLET) and training faculty and staff on; accessible emails, documents and presentations, neuro-divergent Learners
- Creating a lending library for faculty and staff that includes books from authors who approach learning, pedagogy and knowledge with an EDI focus.
- Launch of the Anti-Black Racism Pedagogical Collective in collaboration with the UTM Library
- Partnering with UTM – Centre of Student Engagement on the SEE@UTM initiative
- Launch of the Caribbean and Black Collective. A series of meet-ups where students can get support from faculty members who have expertise in numeracy and writing instruction.
- Starting Fall 2023, a new course called UTM110 – Black Immigrant Experience in Canadian Cities
Last updated August 2023