The MUI is a 20-month program.
Year 1 consists of a set of core courses common to all incoming students.
In the summer term between Year 1 and Year 2, students will participate in a required summer internship opportunity.
Year 2 is comprised of elective courses and a capstone course that includes a Major Research Project.
MUI – Course Offerings by Year
- MUI 1010H Intro to Management of Urban Innovation
- MUI 1020H Civic Engagement and Economic Development
- MUI 1060H Local and Regional Government: Management and Policymaking
- MUI 1090H Technology, Strategy & Policy
- MUI 1040H Socially Sustainable Cities: Theory, Policy and Practice
- MUI 1075H Digital Cities
- MUI 1030H Urban and Regional Economic Development Theory
- MUI 1050H Urban Politics
- MUI 1080H Economic Development Planning
- MUI 1100H Summer Internship/Co-op Placement (0.5 credit)
Fall 2023/Winter 2024
- MUI2095H Capstone Course (Fall/Winter)
- MUI2080H Intelligent Communities/Smart Cities (Fall)
- MUI2055H Cities, Industries and the Environment (Winter)
- MUI2000H Bring Back Main Street (Winter)
In Year 2, students will enroll in 4 elective courses in the Fall term and 3 elective courses as well as a research-intensive capstone course in the Winter/Spring Term. Year 2 courses are drawn from a variety of disciplines and programs including: Engineering, Geography, Global Affairs, Management, Political Science, Planning, Sustainability Management and Urban Innovation.
Students have the opportunity to take electives* with other departments dependent on the approval of the home department.
Below are sample electives offerings that students may be interested in taking.
Year 2 electives can fall into any of the following three concentrations:
Sample Elective Courses
- MUI 2010H Sectoral Analysis
- MUI 2040H Real Estate Development
- MUI 2055H Cities Industry and the Environment
- MUI 2080H Intelligent Communities/Smart Cities
- POL 2394HH Innovation and Knowledge Flows in City-Regions
- GLA 2018H Innovation and the City
- GGR 1610H Geography of Finance and Financial Crisis
- JPG 1512H Place, Politics and the Urban
- JPG 1558H Transportation: Historical and Geographic Perspectives
- JPG 1607H Geography of Competition
- JMG 2020H Big Data and Global Cities
- PLA 1801H Urban Infrastructure Planning
- RSM 2132H Prosperity and Competitiveness
- SSM 1080H Strategies for Sustainability Management
*Electives offerings are subject to change year to year