These are the most frequently asked questions we receive. If your question is not answered here, please contact us at sasinternship.utm@utoronto.ca


Can any student enrolled in an OISE program apply for the internship?

The UTM OISE Higher Education Internship is a unique opportunity exclusively for students enrolled in a Master’s level Higher Education program. However, students from other OISE masters programs will be considered, so long as they meet the course eligibility requirements. To ensure you are academically eligible to apply, please contact Professor David Kim. Only students who are academically eligible to take LHA1858H as an elective will be able to apply.


I am an international student. Can I apply?

International students are welcome – and encouraged – to apply. International students wishing to apply for the internship must have a valid study permit, be enrolled full-time in one of the eligible Master’s level Higher Education programs and have a Canadian social insurance number (SIN). Please visit the International Education Centre for more details about the conditions and limitations to work off campus. Please contact Professor David Kim to determine your academic eligibility for course LHA1858H.


I am a part-time student. Can I apply?

Part time students enrolled in a Master’s level Higher Education program may apply but must be able to fulfil the on-campus work component of the internship. We understand that many part-time students have full-time jobs, so may not be able to commit to this. If you have specific questions, or would like to talk about your situation, please contact us at sasinternship.utm@utoronto.ca


I am interested in completing more than one internship. Is that possible?

The LHA1858H course is a 0.5 credit elective, a two-semester course (or one-semester in some cases) that allows for one internship placement. A second internship may be completed under the LHA1859H course code, allowing for 0.5 credits in a different two-semester period.


When can I apply for the internship?

Please check our How To Apply page for updated application dates.


How do I apply for an internship position?

All of the application instructions can be found here


Can I complete my internship with a student affairs and services department on the St. George campus?

The UTM OISE Higher Education Internship is currently a partnership between the University of Toronto Mississauga and OISE, so all internships are housed within a student affairs and services department at the Mississauga campus. 


How do I register for the internship course?

If you receive and accept an offer for an internship placement, you will receive information on how to register for the LHA1858H course. Please note that internship offers are made after course selection begins, so you may wish to register for another course to ensure enrolment in another elective of your choice. If you do receive and accept an offer for an internship, you will be able to drop the course that you had registered for and add the internship course. 


If we haven’t answered your question, please email us at sasinternship.utm@utoronto.ca