Angela B. LangeProfessor Biology
Insect Reproductive Physiology. My research interests lie within the field of insect reproductive physiology. In particular, I am interested in the means by which cells and tissues communicate with one another in order to produce integrated and coordinated output. To this end, I have developed a model system in which I have identified motor and modulatory input onto the oviducts of the locust, Locusta migratoria. These inputs must be coordinated in order to produce the correct response at the appropriate time (e.g. egglaying). This work entails neurophysiology, neurochemistry, receptor physiology and signal transduction. Work of this nature can furnish the means of controlling insect pests by development of new insecticides.
- Lee, D.H., Paluzzi, J.P., Orchard, I. and Lange, A.B. 2011. Isolatin, cloning and expression of the Crustacean Cardioactive peptide gene in the Chagas' disease vector. Peptides 32: 475-482.
- da Silva, R. and Lange, A.B. 2011. Evidence of a central pattern generator regulating spermathecal muscle activvity in Locusta migratoria and its coordination with oviposition. Journal of experimental biology 214:757-763.
- Mykles, D.L., Adams, M.E., Gade, G., Lange, A.B., Marco, H. and Orchard, I. (2010) Neuropeptide action in insects and crustaceans. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 83:836-846.
- Robertson, L. and Lange, A.B. (2010) Neural substrate and allatostatin-like innervations of the gut of Locusta migratoria. J. Insect Physiol. 56:893-901.
- Ruiz-Sanchez, E., Lange, A.B. and Orchard, I. (2010) Effects of the cyclopeptide mycotoxin destruxin A on the Malpighian tubules of Rhodnius prolixus (Stål). Toxicon 56:1043-1051.
- Ayali, A. and Lange, A.B. (2010) Rhythmic behaviour and pattern-generating circuits in the locust: Key concepts and recent updates. J. Insect Physiol. 56:834-843.
- Coast, G.M., Te Brugge, V.A., Nachman, R.J., Lopez, J., Aldrich, J.R., Lange, A. and Orchard, I. (2010) Neurohormones implicated in the control of Malpighian tubule secretion in plant sucking heteropterans: The stink bugs Acrosternum hilare and Nezara viridula. Peptides 31: 468-473.
- Calvin, A. and Lange, A.B. (2010) The association of the FMRFamide-related peptide family with the heart of the stick insect, Baculum extradentatum. Open Access Insect Physiology 2:1-10.
- Lange, A.B. 2009. Neural mechanisms coordinating the female reproductive system in the locust. Frontiers in Science14: 4401-4415.
- Lange, A.B. 2009. Tyramine: from octopamine precursor to neuroactive chemical in insects. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 162:18-26.
- Donini, A. and Lange, A.B. (2004). Evidence for a possible neurotransmitter/neuromodulator role of tyramine on the locust oviducts. Journal of Insect Physiology 50:351-361.
- Molaei, G. and Lange, A.B. (2003). The association of serotonin with the alimentary canal of the African migratory locust, Locusta migratoria: physiology and pharmacological profile. Journal of Insect Physiology 49: 1073-1082.
- Clark, J. and A.B. Lange, 2003, Octopamine modulates spermathecal muscle contractions in Locusta migratoria. J. Comp. Physiol. A 189:105-114.
- Clark, J. and A. B. Lange 2000. The neural control of spermathecal contractions in the locust, Locusta migratoria. Journal of Insect Physiology 46: 191-201.