In Canada, health care can be very expensive. As a University of Toronto Mississauga student, you are required to have health insurance coverage for the duration of your studies at UTM. The sections below will provide you with details on the health coverage options available to students:
- Univeristy Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) - for most international students
- Desjardins Financial - additional coverage for all students
- Guard Me International Insurance - for VISP and CsF students
The University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) is a mandatory health insurance plan for certain international students to ensure you have basic health care coverage while studying in Ontario.
As an international student or exchange student, you are automatically enrolled in UHIP and the coverage charge will be listed on ACORN (your student account). UHIP coverage may also be extended to your eligible dependent family member(s). The UHIP insurer is Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.
Upon visiting a healthcare provider you will be required to present your UHIP card. If visiting a preferred provider (i.e. a provider that accepts UHIP, such as the UTM Health and Counselling Centre), the provider will record your information and invoice Sun Life directly towards medical consultation fees. If not, you may have to pay out of pocket for your medical expenses, even if those expenses are covered under UHIP. If that happens, you will have to submit your expenses to Sun Life for reimbursement. Make sure you obtain a receipt for medical services you receive from your health care provider, and remember to bring a claim form with you when visiting a health care provider.
Learn more about UHIP:
- Health Insurance 101: UHIP Video
- All about UHIP
- Make a Claim
- Registration Tutorial
All students are covered by a Desjardins Financial supplementary health and dental insurance plan to help cover medical expenses, such as prescription drugs and vision care (not covered by provincial health care, OHIP, or by UHIP). You automatically receive this medical and dental insurance coverage through your student association, namely the:
- Association of Part-time University Students (APUS) for part-time undergraduate students
- University of Toronto Graduate Students' Union (GSU) for graduate students
- University of Toronto Students' Union (UTSU) for full-time undergraduate and professional faculty students
Learn more about supplemental plans:
- APUS Health and Dental Plan [download card] [view plan booklet]
- GSU Health and Dental Plan [download card] [view plan booklet]
- UTSU Health and Dental Plan [card available from the Information Booth in the Student Centre] [view plan booklet]
Visit Guard Me International Insurance for more informaiton regarding coverage.