All UTM Campus Safety Special Constables are sworn in by Peel Regional Police for the purposes of keeping the peace at the University of Toronto Mississauga Campus. Special Constables patrol the campus by means of foot and mobile patrol.
What Are Special Constables?
Special Constables are appointed by the Province of Ontario and managed by the Peel Police Service Board.
- They have the authority of a peace officer while on University property
- They are able to deal with Criminal and Provincial offenses, thereby requiring less Peel Police on campus
- Provide referrals to community services
- They have a philosophy that promotes safety and support over enforcement and detention
- Remain accountable to our community
We are accountable to our community and are guided by the following principles and values:
- Respect for the dignity, privacy, worth and diversity of all persons
- Fair and impartial treatment of all individuals
- A departmental philosophy that promotes safety and security as a responsibility of all members of the community;
- Reliability, competence, accountability, teamwork and open communication, and
- An approach to campus policing that welcomes and encourages community involvement and equity
In 2021, our service underwent a re-branding as the University of Toronto Mississauga Campus Safety to better reflect the range of public safety services we provide to our community. This change also aligns our service with the new provincial regulations.
If you are interested in a career with UTM Campus Safety, please visit our careers page for current opportunities.