University of Toronto Mississauga / Jackman Humanities Institute Annual Seminar
A year-long undertaking jointly sponsored by UTM and the Jackman Humanities Institute, the aim of the Annual Seminar is to create an intellectual community that vigorously addresses a topic of broad appeal, which lends itself to wider community engagement.
The seminar will be convened by a UTM faculty member in the humanities or social sciences but can include participants from any academic discipline. Contributors will include senior UTM undergraduates, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows, and other key academic figures from the University of Toronto and beyond. The seminar may be interdisciplinary in nature, to fully explore the chosen theme or problem, but it need not be.
The seminar will organize public events surrounding its activity, which may include readings, symposia, debates, exhibitions, or screenings linked to the theme. The Seminar will also organize and host an annual Distinguished Lecture related to the theme. The UTM campus will be the host site of the Seminar activity, including the Distinguished Lecture, but some events may be held at other locations if appropriate.
One Annual Seminar will be sponsored each academic year. An itemized budget proposal, up to $15,000, must accompany the application. Applications will be reviewed by a panel of arms-length colleagues and the Director (or delegate) of the Jackman Humanities Institute (JHI). Participation in a UTM-JHI joint program does not preclude UTM faculty from participating in other JHI programs.
How to Apply
A complete application package includes the following material:
- Completed Cover Sheet
- Proposal: 4 pages maximum (single space, 12pt New Times Roman), in clear
non-specialist language, under these headings:
· Description of Research and Scholarly Activity to be undertaken by the seminar, including aims and outcomes of the seminar with special attention to the public events planned for the seminar
· Oranization and leadership for the seminar
· Timetable of events and activities for the year
- List of Partipants in the planning group and their affiliations, which can include anticipated participants (1 additional page maximum for the participant table) with the following columns:
· Faculty/Postdoc/Grad Student/Undergraduate
- Itemized budget and justification (additional 1 page maximum)
Please submit proposals in on SINGLE PDF to Rong Wu by this date.