fusion 5 - Canada's First Certified Gluten-Free University Food Service Outlet
Over the years, we at Hospitality & Retail Services have had more and more UTM community members come forward with dietary restrictions. Through allergen training, safe-handling food practices, improved signage, food labelling, and increased availability of nutritional information in each food service outlet, Chartwells is equipped to deal with a variety of dietary restrictions that are brought to their attention by customers.
One of the most prevalent and challenging dietary restrictions to manage in a food service environment is gluten sensitvity, whether it be an allergy to gluten, gluten intolerance, or Celiac disease. Many products contain gluten or "hidden gluten", including products that you would never think of, like some soy sauces and herbal teas, and many other products carry the disclosure that they "may contain gluten or wheat", like packaged nuts or lentils. Those who have sensitivity or intolerance to gluten know that it only takes an extremely small amount of gluten to make them sick.
Although there are many gluten-friendly menu items available at campus locations like Colman Commons and the North Side Bistro, we wanted to have a food service outlet that offered a gluten-free menu everyday, providing those with gluten sensitivity a place where they can regularly eat with confidence.
Enter fusion 5: Asian fusion cuisine that you can customize yourself (click logo to see menu). Not only are the menu items certified gluten-free, all items are dairy-free, peanut-free, and shell-fish free as well, and many of the items are also vegan-friendly.
fusion 5 became certified gluten-free by the Gluten Intolerance Group of North America on August 31, 2016. The Gluten Intolerance Group will conduct regular audits to ensure that the fusion 5 is maintained as gluten-free, and the outlet must be re-certified every year or when it undergoes any major renovation or menu change.
- All supplies and food items are delivered directly to the fusion 5 outlet and inspected upon arrival
- All fusion 5 staff are specifically designated for that location and will not work at any other outlets to eliminate any risk of cross-contamination
- fusion 5 has been cordoned off from the other outlets in the TFC, and any non-fusion 5 staff who enter the outlet must properly wash their hands and put on new apron and hairnet
- All food for fusion 5 is prepped, cooked, and stored in fusion 5
- All food service equipment at fusion 5 is dedicated to preparing the fusion 5 menu
- All fusion 5 smallwares and serving pans are washed in the dedicated dishwasher that has been installed in the outlet
- All fusion 5 items are served with utensils that are purple - the North American standard for allergen-designated serving-ware
- A fork will be provided for each customer from fusion 5 to ensure that the fork has not been cross-contiminated
We hope that you enjoy fusion 5. Just because it is gluten-free doesn't mean that it is flavour-free. By customizing your own meal, you are sure to find a flavour combination that is worth coming back for.
We would love to hear any feedback or questions that you may have regarding fusion 5. Please feel free to email us at email@example.com.
Press Articles about fusion 5: