Graduation & Convocation
New Service: Online Degree Confirmation System for Employers
Grads! If your employer or another third party needs to confirm your graduation from U of T, they can do so online. Click Here For Details.
Graduation & Convocation
If you are a U of T Mississauga student and are ready to graduate, please review the following to ensure that you can take part in the convocation ceremonies.
Step 1: Thinking about graduation?
The next Convocation date for the University of Toronto Mississauga will between June 5 and June 23, 2017.
You must meet both your program and degree requirements in order to graduate. It is your responsibility to check that all program and degree requirements will be met. Using Degree Explorer, the University of Toronto's degree planning tool, students can review their academic history, degree requirements or use the planner to determine how future course choices might meet their program and/or degree requirements.
Degree and Program Requirements
Compare your academic history with your program and degree requirements by using Degree Explorer. It is best to review your academic history and meet annually with a faculty/program advisor in the relevant Department to review program requirements AND an Academic Advisor in the Office of the Registrar to review your degree requirements.
- Your official resource for checking program and degree requirements is the Academic Calendar. (Note: Departments do NOT have the authority to waive degree requirements)
- You will follow the program requirements listed in the academic calendar for the Session that you enrolled in the program (e.g. If you enrolled into a program in the summer of 2014, you would follow the program requirements listed in the 2014-15 Academic Calendar). Make sure to check your program requirements each time you consider adding or changing courses, or if you consider changing programs of study. Click here for a list of departments and programs.
- You will follow the degree requirements listed in the academic calendar for the Session you were admitted to the university as a degree student (e.g. If you were admitted to the University beginning September 2013, you would follow the degree requirements listed in the 2013-14 Academic Calendar). Make sure to update your contact information online using ACORN. The way your name appears in ACORN is the way it will appear on your diploma.
- Is your name correct on ACORN?
If your name as it will appear on your diploma is not correct you will need to have it updated. The deadline to submit the change requests for the upcoming June 2017 Convocation period is March 23, 2017. Due to publication deadlines, forms received after this deadline cannot be processed.
- Is your name missing accents?
If so, please download and complete the appropriate Name on Diploma form found on the Office of Convocation website and return the form to the Office of Convocation address provided. For any other changes to your name, please visit the Office of the Registrar to complete the necessary forms and provide proper documentation to support the desired changes.
- Do you have any other name change requests?
Please note that name changes requested after the deadline will not be reflected on your diploma. These requests will be processed after the November Convocation period. Should you wish to obtain a diploma which reflects a name change request made after the deadline, you will required to submit a Replacement Diploma Request Form, the $80.00 diploma replacement fee and the return of your original diploma (the diploma that you will receive at your convocation ceremony).
For those not attending convocation, your original diploma will be available at the Office of Convocation for pick-up as of June 27, 2017.
June 2017 Convocation
If you intend to graduate in June 2017, you must confirm the request on ACORN between November 17, 2016 and January 22, 2017. After this date, any changes must be done at the Office of the Registrar. A fee will apply for late requests to graduate.
ACORN will identify those students who may have completed or are enrolled in the appropriate number of courses to qualify for graduation; these students will be able to confirm their graduation request on ACORN. If you plan to graduate and do not see a graduation request on ACORN, go to the Office of the Registrar to speak with an Academic Advisor no later than March 10, 2017 to have your graduation request added.
When you login to ACORN, it will indicate the degree you might be eligible to receive. You will be prompted to request graduation with the specified degree or to indicate that you do not wish to graduate with the specified degree. If you wish to graduate, but with a different degree from the one specified (e.g., ACORN indicates that you might be eligible to receive an Hon. B.A., but you wish to graduate with an Hon. B.Sc.), you must contact the Office of the Registrar no later than March 10, 2017.
Students who have confirmed their request to graduate can check Degree Explorer at the end of March (for June Convocation) or September (for November Convocation) to see if their Subject POSts have been confirmed by the relevant department(s) and can view their eligibility to graduate in early May (for June Convocation) or October (for November Convocation).
Degree parchments are held by the Office of Convocation for pick up one year following each graduation ceremony for those who are not present. PLEASE NOTE: Parchments are withheld until all outstanding U of T fees have been paid in full. These include library fines, charges for missed health service appointments, charges for damaged departmental equipment and fees for deferred exams.
The U of T Mississauga ceremonies are held at Convocation Hall at the St. George campus (downtown Toronto). Ceremony information is available from the Office of Convocation website.
Once you have been notified of your eligibility to graduate (i.e. your degree status assessment result is confirmed as "Complete" in Degree Explorer), there are a number of things that you are required to do (i.e.. rent academic regalia and RSVP for the ceremony) whether you plan on attending your convocation ceremony or not. Please see the Graduation Checklist found on the Office of Convocation website for a complete list.
Not planning to attend your graduation ceremony? Follow these steps:
- Let us know you will not be attending your ceremony by RSVP'ing on ACORN under "Graduation & Convocation".
- Review options to pick-up or have your diploma couriered to you. Note: Diplomas are held for one year after the date of convocation.
For all information regarding ceremonies, reservations, tickets and diplomas, please visit the Office of Convocation website.
To view webcasts of past convocations, visit the Office of Convocation website and click on "Webcast" in the top-right corner.
Attention all students!
Over the years there has been some confusion surrounding the diploma parchment. We would like to take this opportunity to dispel some of these myths.
- The diploma parchment will say "University of Toronto" and NOT "University of Toronto Mississauga." The only place on the parchment where "University of Toronto Mississauga" appears is below the Principal’s signature.
- Programs of Study (Subject POSts) DO NOT appear on the diploma parchment. Subject POSt(s) appear on your transcript.
- Your name as it appears on ACORN is the name that will appear on your degree.
Please contact the Office of the Registrar for details on how to change your name and which form of official documentation can be used to support the change.
Class composites will be handed out during the Convocation downtown at the Northwest Entrance of Convocation Plaza. If for some reason you are unable to pick yours up, you, a family member or friend can pick one up at the U of T Mississauga Student Union (UTMSU) office in the Student Centre. A signed letter is not required, although a student card would help. Please note that the composites cannot be mailed out. You can expect UTMSU to receive the composites about one week after the actual convocation date. Please try to pick your composite downtown on Convocation day.
If you have any other questions, please contact the UTMSU office at 905-828-5249.