"Tactics and Vectors"
- To encourage active participation by insect collectors,
butterfly watchers, birders, amateur scientists and all other interested individuals,
amateur or professional, in a continent-wide, field research, program to document the
flight tactics and navigational behaviour of each species of migratory butterfly in North
- Establish a public database of documented flight tactics and
navigational behaviour of the butterflies for use in research, education, and
- Encourage field studies by volunteer researchers to test
- the adaptive function of the wide array of flight tactics
observed during migration.
- the navigational mechanisms used by the butterflies.
- Develop lesson plans, based on field studies of butterfly
migration, to illustrate methods of data collection, data analysis, and hypothesis testing
in animal Behavior.