Established by UTM's Office of the Vice-Principal, Research (OVPR), the Summer Undergraduate Research Fair (SURF) celebrates the research conducted by undergraduate students over the summer. This year's event will be held in person and will include both oral and poster presentations. Please note that presenters must also register to attend the event.
** Save the date: August 16, 2023 **
Date: Wednesday, August 16, 2023
Time: 8:30 AM - 2:00 PM
Location: Instructional Building/Centre (IB), 1599 Outer Circle, UTM
- Registration will open in June
- Presentation registration deadline: Tuesday, July 18, 2023
- Workshops for registrants: TBA
- General attendance registration deadline: Wednesday, August 2, 2023
- Deadline for printing posters free of charge: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 at 4:00 PM (firm deadline)
Register to Present Your Research
► Registration will open in June.
Please note that this event will take place in person on the UTM campus. There is no option to present virtually.
- Registration deadline: Tuesday, July 18, 2023
- Deadline for printing posters free of charge: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 at 4:00 PM
Please read the following information carefully before registering:
- Registration is open to undergraduate students conducting a Summer 2023 research project under the supervision of a UTM faculty researcher.
- You are allowed one registration per poster. If your poster includes co-presenters, the lead presenter should register on behalf of the team. We strongly recommend that groups select only one member of the team to present; however, if you do present as a group, the group should have no more than three presenters in total.
- Both lead presenters and co-presenters should also register to attend SURF.
If you would prefer to deliver an oral presentation, please select this option in the registration form. Our team will contact you during the week of July 18, to let you know if you have been selected.
- Will not include a poster.
- Will consist of one speaker only.
- Will be three minutes.
- Will include up to three slides.
*Note that if you are not selected for an oral presentation, you will present a poster. If you are selected, your registration for the poster presentation will be cancelled.
You can print your poster free of charge at the UTM Print and Copy Centre! The printing deadline is Tuesday, August 8, 2023 at 4:00 PM. Students will be responsible for printing costs of posters submitted after this deadline.
Contact the Print and Copy Centre directly (email@example.com) for questions related to printing your poster. Please DO NOT contact the Office of the Vice-Principal, Research (OVPR) with any printing questions.
Workshops (Date TBA)
This July, the OVPR will host two virtual workshops to support research presentations: one will focus on how to prepare a successful poster, the other on how to deliver a strong oral presentation. We recommend all registrants attend these workshops.
Registration for General Attendance
► Registration will open in June.
Please note that all presenters must also register for SURF. Faculty, librarian, staff, postdoctoral fellows, graduate students, and undergraduate students are all welcome to attend.
- Registration deadline: Wednesday, August 3, 2023
Office of the Vice-Principal, Research
2021 Event (event write-up)
2020 Event (event write-up)
2019 Event (event write-up)
2018 Event (event write-up)
2017 Event (event write-up)
2016 Event (event write-up)