Bridge Funding Program at UTM
The Office of the Vice-Principal, Research (VP-R), has implemented a Bridge-Funding Program to provide financial aid for researchers in the UTM community. This fund will support the research of UTM-appointed faculty whose Tri-Council grant applications have been highly ranked by agency peer-review, but have not been awarded due to lack of funds at the federal level.
- Each Principal Investigator (PI) may only make use of the Bridge Funding Program ONCE during their tenure at UTM, be it from SSHRC, NSERC, or CIHR bridging.
- Administration and distribution of funds will be co-ordinated through the UTM Office of the Vice-Principal Research (VP-R).
- PI must hold a UTM primary appointment.
- PI must have applied one of the following grants in the previous competition:
- SSHRC Insight Grant or Insight Development Grant
- NSERC-Discovery Grant
- CIHR-Project Grant
- And PI must have met the following minimum peer-review evaluation level:
- SSHRC- at least sextile 3
- NSERC – at least Moderate in all 3 categories (corresponding to NSERC Quality Bin M)
- CIHR – receive a minimum score of 3.5 (subject to change with new review process)
- By accepting UTM bridge funds recipients commit to:
- re-applying in the next available competition (If the subsequent tri-council application is not successful, the PI is not eligible for further bridge funding)
- having their application go through internal peer review
- As long as the total request for funding does not exceed the total budget available, all eligible proposals will receive bridge funding.
- The VP-R will aim to maximize the benefit of this bridge funding program to the advantage of all eligible UTM faculty.
- If the total requests for funding exceeds the total budget available, the VP-R will consult with Department Chairs and the UTM Research Council
- Departments will be asked to prioritize funding requests from their units, which may include, but not limited to: consideration of pre-tenure faculty, those in greatest need relative to other funding sources; or simply equal funding for each request in their unit.
- Departments are expected to play a role in coordination of Bridge Funding within their units and communication of the requests to the VP-R office.
- Expected bridge funding levels:
- SSHRC – $10 - 15k
- NSERC – $10 - 30k
- CIHR – $10- 40k
- There are no requirements for departmental matching funds.
- Upon receiving results from Tri-Council competition, Department Chairs and the VP-R Office will communicate to identify eligible faculty members.
- Department Chairs will confirm that eligible faculty members wish to be considered for funding.
- Departments may be asked to prioritize their requests and communicate their prioritization strategy, in the event that the total requests exceed the total budget available.
- VP-R office will assemble all requests, and apply prioritization criteria if necessary, to arrive at funding levels.
- Funding levels will be communicated to departments and PIs, and funds transferred to PI account.