2022 Connaught New Researcher Award competition now open!
These programs present a new and exciting opportunity to support research and innovation at the University of Toronto. By bringing emerging and established research leaders of demonstrated excellence across disciplinary, career stage, geographic and sectoral boundaries, the Connaught Fund will support, as per its terms of reference, “the application of the professional expertise and resources of the University to matters of public interest in all research fields.”
- Connaught Innovation Award – deadline: September 16, 2021 (NOI) ; October 21, 2021 (Full Proposal, by invitation only)
Total funding allocation to the program is up to $500,000 annually. Amounts requested/awarded vary significantly across disciplines; however the maximum award amount is $100,000 per project. The program is designed to help accelerate the development of promising technology and promote commercialization and/or knowledge transfer.
- Connaught Global Challenge Award – deadline: April 19, 2021 (full proposal)
One award, approximately $1 million annually. The award includes an international symposium, a distinguished visiting scholar and a research cluster. The successful applicant will be able to bring together the university’s leading researchers from multiple disciplines, as well as innovators and thought leaders from other sectors to heighten the university’s contribution to important issues facing society.
- Connaught New Researcher Award – deadline: December 1, 2022 (full proposal)These awards are intended to help full-time tenure stream appointees within five years of a first tenure-stream Assistant Professor appointment establish a strong research program, thereby increasing the faculty member's competitiveness for external funding. Support for approximately 50 awards of up to $20,000 will be provided to the highest ranked proposals. For instructions and details see RSO page.
- Connaught International Doctoral Scholarship – deadline: TBA
Up to 10 awards, approximately $1 million annually to support all recipients. The award are administered through the School of Graduate Studies.
- McLean Award – deadline: March 31, 2021 (full proposal)
One award, $100,000 annually to support an emerging research leader conducting basic research in physics, chemistry, computer science, mathematics, engineering sciences and the theory and methods of statistics.
- Connaught Community Partnership Research Program – deadline: TBA
Multiple awards, up to $50,000 per year for one to two years to help create new collaborative research partnerships, or nurture early stage partnerships, between the University and community partners, that, over time, may evolve into more established relationships that will attract external funding through, for example, the SSHRC Partnerships Grant program.
- Connaught Community Partnership Research Program – Indigenous Stream – deadline: TBA
The University’s Connaught Committee has allocated funds to support an internal research funding stream based on Indigenous worldviews, principles and community needs. This work will help ensure Indigenous research being conducted at the University of Toronto is community driven and has a positive impact on Indigenous Peoples and Communities in Canada.