What are Indigenous Initiatives?
Indigenous Initiatives at the Centre for Student Engagement are learning opportunities created in collaboration with the Equity and Diversity Office and UTM Indigenous Centre and are open to ALL UTM community members to engage in.
Indigenous Initiatives seek to help promote the equity and inclusion of Indigenous peoples, contributing to a more welcoming and inclusive community on campus. Opportunities are created with the purpose of:
- Building awareness of and sharing the historic and contemporary relationships between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples in Canada
- Celebrating and promoting a deeper understanding of Indigenous cultures, contributions, philosophies, traditional practices, spiritual ways and concepts of relationship building
- Establishing safe spaces to engage in critical thinking and discussions that inspire ongoing reflections and conversations surrounding the topics of colonial history and impact, stereotypes and bias, appreciation, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission's Calls to Action and the process of allyship.
Knowledge of the above and the removal of stereotypical imagery are essential to developing and furthering intercultural dialogue and improving cultural competency.
Opportunities for 2019-20
Learn more about our current Indigenous Initiatives by clicking the links below:
- KAIROS Blanket Exercise
- Royal Ontario Museum: Indigenous Professional Learning Workshop
- Indigenous Spirit Journey (ISJ) Program
- Giizhiitaa (Coming Full Circle) - Indigenous Spirit Journey Celebration
To develop new initiatives, we encourage partners and groups on the campus and the local community to connect with us to explore ways we can work together. Our goal is to provide these opportunities at the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) and in the local community.
We invite schools, parents and families, local community organizations, and UTM community partners, mentors and student groups to explore how we can work together.
Social Media Initiatives
Follow along on our social media for a campaign celebrating National Indigenous History Month throughout June! This campaign will consist of multiple posts throughout the month on social platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and digital signage across campus TV screens with the intent of bringing awareness to and celebrating Indigenous culture, in addition to acknowledging several injustices within Indigenous history in Canada.
For all inquiries regarding Indigenous Initiatives at the Centre for Student Engagement, please contact: