Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
To get started, please find frequently asked questions regarding student groups below.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is Ulife recognition?
- What is UTMSU recognition?
- How do I join a club as a general member?
- How do I join a club as an executive member?
- How can I book tables in the Student Centre?
- How can I book tables in other buildings outside of the Student Centre?
- How can I book rooms in the Student Centre?
- How can I book rooms in other buildings outside of the Student Centre?
- What process do I have to follow for re-recognition by Ulife?
- What process do I have to follow for re-recognition by UTMSU?
- What other services can I request through Ulife?
- What other services does Centre for Student Engagement offer for Student Groups?
- What opportunities are there for extra funding?
- What other services does UTMSU provide for Student Groups?
- How do I carry out elections for my Club?
- How do I get the executive positions of my Student Group recognized on the CCR (Co-Curricular Record)?
Frequently Asked Questions
Ulife recognition is official University of Toronto recognition for student groups that allows a different set of benefits and services including the use of "University of Toronto" in the group name, booking rooms and tables in buildings outside of the Student Centre, and more. More information on Ulife recognition can be found here and at UTM-Ulife Recognition. You can apply for both UTMSU and Ulife recognition to gain the benefits of both.
UTMSU recognition offers a set of benefits including opportunities for program funding, Student Centre bookings, office space, and more. A UTM-based group seeking UTMSU recognition can find more information here and at www.utmsu.ca/clubs-documents.
Membership for each Student Group varies, but you can contact the student group directly to inquire about their membership. You can approach them through their social media, emails or during Clubs Week in the beginning of each academic year.
Elections for Student Groups typically take place around February - March. You can contact the student group you want to be a part of to inquire about the nomination process.
If you are a UTMSU recognized student group, you can book tables in the Student Centre through the UTMSU. You can find more information about table booking here.
If you are a Ulife recognized student group, you can book tables in Kaneff, Deerfield Hall, CCT, Instructional Building, Maanjiwe Nendamowinan, or Davis by having your Primary or Secondary Contact submitting a request through the UTM Service Portal. You can find more information about table booking here.
If you are a UTMSU recognized student group, you can book rooms in the Student Centre through the UTMSU. You can find more information about room booking here.
The primary contact on Ulife from the past year should log onto www.ulife.utoronto.ca and edit the Group Leaders page to the new primary and secondary contacts. Once the contacts are updated, the new primary contact can then log onto www.ulife.utoronto.ca and click on "renew application" to apply for re-recognition. If there are any updates to the group's constitution, the new version of the constitution must be submitted at this time. You can learn more about the Ulife re-recognition process here.
The process for re-recognition is outlined at a mandatory meeting hosted by the UTMSU that usually takes place in April. The documents needed for re-recognition can be found at www.utmsu.ca/clubs-documents. You can read more about the UTMSU re-recognition process here.
Besides official UofT recognition, Student Groups can also request other services through Ulife including:
- Requesting a utoronto email address for the student group
- Requesting a email mailing list (listserv) for their student group
- Requesting a campus group web space
- Catering Discounts for On-Campus Events
The UTM Centre of Student Engagement offers the following services for Student Groups:
- Table bookings in buildings outside of the Student Centre
- Room bookings in buildings outside of the Student Centre
- Access to the CSE Library of Resources
- Access to the UTM Engage App
- Bank Letters
- Student Groups Awards
- Funding Opportunities
- Online elections for Academic Societies
- Various Supports for Student Groups
- Ulife Lead Workshops for Student Leaders
- CCR training for Student Groups to have executive positions approved on the Co-Curricular Record
- Workshops by request for Student Groups to help with team building and more
- Resources to aid Student Groups
There are plenty of opportunities for Student Groups to apply for extra funding for their programming. Some of these funding opportunities are listed on our website for Ulife recognized groups and include the Good Ideas Fund, Community-Engaged Intitiative Grant, Ian Orchard Student Initiative Fund, Club Connection Fund, and more. UTMSU also offers a variety of extra funding opportunities that might include: Green grants, Collaboration funding, Emergency funding, and Summer funding. You can read more about UTMSU funding opportunities here. Forms for these can be found on the UTMSU website at www.utmsu.ca/clubs-documents.
If your student group is an Academic Society, you can fill out the online elections request form to host your elections on www.voting.utoronto.ca. This service is only for Student Societies such as UTM Athletic Council, UTM Residence Council, and Academic Socieites. For more information on elections for both academic societies and student clubs, please visit our Election Support page.
How do I get the executive positions of my Student Organization recognized on the CCR (Co-Curricular Record)?
For all questions and feedback regarding Student Groups, please contact:
Student Engagement Coordinator, Student Organizations & Outreach
- Room 2077, William G. Davis Building (Find us on a map here!)
- Phone: 905-828-3962
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com