Missed Tests & Late Assignments
Please declare your absence on ACORN for the relevant date(s) before submitting a Special Consideration Request.
If you miss a term test or submit an assignment after the deadline, you will be assigned a mark of zero for the test or will lose a percentage of the assignment mark for each late day unless the department grants you special consideration.
You may request special consideration from the department (not the instructor) for missed tests or late assignments late due to reasons beyond the your control, including:
- Illness or injury
- Religious observances (i.e., holy days): Requests must be submitted at least 21 days in advance to ensure a suitable accommodation can be provided. Students may be required to submit their work/take the test before the original deadline and this will be determined by the instructor. Requests submitted after the missed deadline, or submitted with less than 14 days notice, will not be considered and a grade of zero will be assigned.
- Other unplanned circumstances entirely beyond your control (e.g., a court subpoena, a funeral, a car accident).
- You may not submit a special consideration request to re-write a test once the test has begun. If you are feeling ill, you must leave the room before starting your test and seek medical attention immediately.
- If you miss an item of term work and do not complete the missed item or any make-up by the examination period, you must submit a petition for an extension of time beyond end of term through the Office of the Registrar.
- Reasons such as holidays, pre-purchased plane tickets, family plans (unless critical, such as death of an immediate family member), lack of preparation, technology failure, late course registration, traffic or weather related incidents or conflicting deadlines are not considered beyond your control and will not be accommodated.
You can also read about Missed Term Tests in the Academic Calendar.