Extension of Time Special Consideration Process
If you are registered with Accessibility Services and want to request an extension of time for an assignment in advance of the due date based on an accommodation letter already provided to your instructor, please email both your instructor and your Accessibility Advisor directly in order to obtain approval.
In all other cases, if you miss an assignment deadline due circumstances beyond your control and seek an extension of time beyond the due date, please complete the following steps in order to be considered for academic accommodation:
- Submit an online special consideration request form within three (3) days (including weekends and holidays) of the assignment due date via https://app.utm.utoronto.ca/SpecialRequest/.
- Submit appropriate supporting documentation within three (3) days (including weekends and holidays) of the assignment due date via email to email@example.com or the department dropbox for supporting documentation (located on the 6th floor of the Maanjiwe Nendamowinan (MN) Building near the elevators). All documentation must be in its original form. If you submit documentation electronically (as a PDF or JPEG attachment ONLY), ensure it is legible and retain the original copy in case you are asked to present it later.
- If illness/injury is cited as the reason for the missed deadline, you must submit a U of T Verification of Student Illness or Injury form (VOI) stating you were examined and diagnosed on the day of the missed deadline or immediately after (i.e., the next day), and indicating a serious degree of incapacitation on academic functioning (e.g. unable to complete an assignment, unable to write a test/examination). The VOI must include a statement by the physician that notes the precise period that you are unable to complete your assignment. A statement from a physician that merely confirms a report (after the fact) of illness/injury made by the student is not acceptable. If you need additional extensions for the same assignment, you must follow the aforementioned procedures with the same physician.
- If you missed a deadline for a reason connected to your registered disability (and your instructor did not grant approval in advance based your accommodation letter), the department can only accept documentation provided by Accessibility Services.
- Other documentation can include, but is not limited to: a U of T Verification of Extenuating Circumstances form; automobile collision or police reports; a death certificate; and supporting documentation from employers, lawyers and other professional persons. When in doubt, please consult the sociology academic counsellor regarding appropriate supporting documentation for your special consideration request.
- For an extension, supporting documentation must specify the exact period that you were unable to complete your assignment. The department will then determine if any extension is merited and if so, the period of extension approved. For extensions of time beyond the examination period, you must submit a petition for an extension of time beyond end of term through the Office of the Registrar.
- The department may request additional documentation in order to assess your case fully.
The department evaluates special consideration requests carefully and approval is not guaranteed.
- If there is concern about your special consideration request(s), your request may be refused and/or you may be asked to meet with the Associate Chair.
- If you have multiple special consideration requests (excluding requests pertaining to a documented disability with appropriate supporting documentation), your request may be refused.
- If you do not comply with the above instructions and timelines, or if or if your special consideration request is deemed unacceptable, your request will be denied and you will receive a grade of zero for the item you missed.
- If the department approves your special consideration request, you will be notified of the period of extension permitted.
The department (not the instructor) will inform you of the decision on your special consideration request via email to your U of T email account typically within one (1) week. However, you must submit your assignment per the instructions in your course outline as soon as you are able to do so; do NOT wait for the outcome of your special consideration request.