Missed Tests/Late Submissions

Students who require special consideration for missed term work due to circumstances beyond their control (e.g. illness or an accident, etc) can request that the department grant them special consideration. You must present your case to the Department (not the Instructor) by completing an online Special Consideration Request.  The request can be submitted using the online form at:

NOTE: This program currently supports Internet Explorer and Firefox ONLY

Supporting Documentation
Students can NOW formally self-declare an absence (of up to 3 consecutive days) from academic participation. This declaration must be performed on ACORN, and replaces* the previous procedure of submitting a Verification of Illness or Injury form that has been endorsed by one of the following licensed practitioners: dentist; nurse/nurse practitioner; physician/surgeon; psychologist; psychotherapist; or social worker; registered and licensed in the Province of Ontario. Declare your absence on ACORN on the day of or the day after the first date of absence.

If you require accommodation for missed term work due to medical illness or injury lasting more than 3 days, you must then use the standard Verification of Illness or Injury form signed by a licensed practitioner.  This form is to be brought to Jodie Stewart, Academic Counsellor located in the Psychology Office (Deerfield Hall, 4th Floor) or dropped in the drop-box located outside the Psychology Office.

*The “Self-Declaration of Illness or Injury” option is a trial process taking place during the Summer 2019 session, and will only be available for courses administered in July and August, 2019 by the following Departments at the University of Toronto Mississauga: English & Drama, and Psychology. For all other courses administered by Departments/Institutes not listed here, please continue to follow the regular University procedures for requesting exemption to term work due to student illness or injury.


  • You may declare a maximum of (TWO) absences (and up to three days in duration for each absence) per course, per term, using the “Self-Declaration of Student Illness” process on ACORN.
  • The department is responsible for deciding what academic accommodations (if any) will be made.
  • It is your responsibility to follow the appropriate procedures and submit requests for special consideration on time.  Failure to do so may result in your request being DENIED.
  • False statements and/or documentation will be treated as Academic Offences and handled accordingly.

You have up to three (3) days from the date of the missed test or assignment due date to submit your request online. (late requests will NOT be considered without a "letter of explanation" as to why the request is late).

A departmental committee evaluates each request, and provides the Academic Counselor with the decision. You will be contacted by the Academic Counselor, who will inform you of the decision.

Note: Although the Academic Counselor will make every effort to inform you of the committee' decision by e-mail, it is your responsibility to ensure you obtain a decision from the department. Claims that a departmental decision was not received will NOT be considered as a reason for further consideration.

You can check your status by logging into the Special Consideration on-line form.

Make-up Tests
If your request is GRANTED and a make-up test is required, you will receive an email when a make-up date has been arranged. The department will try to give 2-3 days notice of make-up date, however this is sometimes not possible. Be prepared for the make-up. 

Redistribution of Grades
If your request is GRANTED and a make-up test is not available, a redistribution of your grades will apply.  Feel free to contact your instructor on how your marks will be redistributed or review your course outline.

What do I do if I miss a final exam in my Psychology Course?

You must petition at Registrarial Services if you missed a final exam. You are also advised to make yourself aware of University regulations concerning final exams.
Petition Form

It is your responsibility to follow the appropriate procedure and submit requests for special consideration on time. Failure to do so may result in denying your request.

Should you require further information regarding special consideration requests, please contact the Academic Counselor at jodie.stewart@utoronto.ca


The University of Toronto respects your privacy. The information on this form is collected pursuant to section 2(14) of the University of Toronto Act, 1971. It is collected for the purpose of administering accommodations for academic purposes based on medical grounds.  The department will maintain a record of all medical certificates received.  At all times it will be protected in accordance with the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.

If you have questions, please refer to www.utoronto.ca/privacy or contact the University’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Office at 416-946-5835.  Address:  Room 201, McMurrich Bldg., 12 Queen’s Park Crescent, Toronto, ON, M5S 1A1.