Phase 1 - Course Experience Tagging
The University of Toronto is committed to supporting clarity and transparency regarding student learning experiences within their programs and courses. To help ensure connection and alignment of learning experiences at the undergraduate level, a University-wide typology of course experiences has been developed and integrated within the Curriculum Management (CM) system and the Course Information System (CIS) / syllabus.
AT UTM, the previous “EXP” tags have been permanently discarded and we will be transitioning to the use of the new University-wide typology and tagging of course experiences for implementation in Fall 2022.
As a first step in the process, units are asked to:
- Review course offerings to determine if the new typology applies to their course experiences; and
- Submit a course change proposal via the Curriculum Management (CM) system to tag courses having either “Partnership-Based Experience” or “University-Based Experience”.
Units to propose Course Experience Tags on the Curriculum Management (CM) system
|June 7th, 2021 to June 25th, 2021.|
|Office of the Dean to review and provide feedback to units in advance of Fall Curriculum Committee meeting||June 28th, 2021 to July 9th, 2021.|
The Program & Curriculum Unit within the Office of the Dean has developed a Course Experience Tagging decision tree to help instructors determine which tag(s) are most appropriate for their course(s). In addition, a step-by-step guide for administrators on how to enter these tags in the Curriculum Management (CM) system is available.
More information, including examples and a helpful FAQ, is available on the Course Experience Tagging webpage through the Experiential Learning Hub site.
A Course Experience Tagging decision tree to help instructors determine which tag(s) are most appropriate for their course(s).
A step-by-step guide for administrators on how to enter course experience tags in CM.
NOTE: When proposing course experience tags in CM, a rationale must be provided. It should include:
- An explanation of how the experience fits the definition of "Partnership-Based Experience" or "University-Based Experience".
- Example(s) of either recent experiences in the course or potential experiences in the upcoming offering.
- Confirmation that the course experience is a MAJOR component to be completed by ALL students EACH time the course is offered.
- If possible, identify the course experience sub-types that will be applied in the Course Information System (CIS)/ Syllabus.
Manager, Academic Programs, Reviews & Quality Assurance