How to Apply
Our next admissions cycle will begin on September 27, 2021. APPLY NOW
2021-2022 Admissions and Application Timeline
|September||The online pplication portal open: Sept. 27, 2021 at 9 a.m. via: https://admissions.sgs.utoronto.ca/apply/|
Application Deadline: Jan. 7, 2022 for May 2022 admission
Interview period for May 2021 intake of DHT: Feb. 7-11, 2022
Admission offers commence as soon as interviews have been completed; offers continue on a rolling basis, as responses are received, until all spots are full.
Waitlisted candidates are notified of their status once initial offers are made; as responses are received, any spots that remain available will be offered to waitlisted candidates.
Unsuccessful applicants are notifed on a rolling basis, following completion of interviews.
Start date for May 2022 Admission is Tuesday, May 24, 2022.
The MBiotech application portal is open from September 27th to January 7th. All application material must be submitted by the January 7th deadline to be considered for admission. A $120 (CDN) application fee must be paid and all supporting documents submitted by the deadline.
About the Online Application
Applications to the Master of Biotechnology Program must be submitted to the School of Graduate Studies (SGS) using an online application which is housed on a secure server at the University of Toronto. The online application allows applicants to manage and submit biographical and educational information as well as specific documents (i.e., Letter of Intent, Curriculum Vitae, etc.) immediately to the University. Applicants can edit an in-progress application and check the status of all documents submitted using a secure password and userID.
A valid e-mail account is needed to complete the online application, as the University will correspond with applicants using e-mail.
Applications are considered complete and can be reviewed only after all documentation is received by the graduate unit (this includes letters of reference submitted online by referees and official transcripts sent by mail). All documentation must be received by the document deadline date.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure all documents are submitted by the deadline dates indicated. It is recommended that documentation be submitted well in advance of the deadlines to avoid any disappointment. Please read and follow all the How to Apply instructions carefully.
- If you are a first-time applicant, click Create an Account to begin your application. You will receive a verification code via email as part of the account creation process. After entering your verification code, you will create a password for your account.
- You may save and return to the application at any point in the process.
- You will be required to enter information for 3 referees (please only enter 3 referees, as only two will be reviewed). Your referees will automatically receive a notification email that they have been requested to complete a reference for your application, along with instructions to submit their reference letter in the application system.
- Please ensure that the application fee is paid when submitting your application profile details. MBiotech will NOT be able to review or assist applicants and their documents until the application fee has been paid.
- If you need to change your referees, please get in touch with firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you need to send a reminder email to your existing referees, you can do so through your applicant portal after submitting your application.
- To view the status of your application, including outstanding requirements, please log in to your account to view your applicant status portal.
- You can upload application materials required by MBiotech through your applicant status portal after submitting your application.
Steps to Apply
1) Ensure you meet the minimum admission requirements as determined by UofT's School of Graduate Studies
2) Determine what type of applicant you are (domestic or international) and your required application documents
Bachelor's Degree completed at are recognized Canadian institution.
This applies even if you DO NOT hold Canadian citizenship or PR status.
Transcript(s), Resume, Letter of Intent and three Letter of References.
Bachlor's Degree completed outside
This applies even if you hold a Canadian citizenship or PR status.
Transcript(s), Resume, Letter of Intent. three Letter of References, Subject GRE Test Scores and Proof of English Proficiency.
Your citizenship/PR status in Canada will affect what fees you pay, if admitted. Canadian citizens/PR holders will pay domestic fees, regardless of applicant status. Students who do not hold Canadian citizenship or PR will pay international fees if admitted, regardless of applicant status.
3) Read through the admission FAQs to ensure you are prepared
4) Open and begin your application at https://admissions.sgs.utoronto.ca/apply/
Applicants for the May 2022 start date should apply to:
Application Type: FALL 2021-SUMMER 2022 SUMMER 2022
Graduate Unit: Institute for Management & Innovation
Attendance Type: Full Time
Program of Study: Master of Biotechnology
Rank 1 Concentration: Pick one of Biopharmaceuticals or Digital Health Technologies
Rank 2 Concentration: Pick one of Biopharmaceuticals or Digital Health Technologies
5) Ensure all required documentation is submitted by the application deadline. Your application will be considered complete once all required documentation is listed as 'received'. Submit your transcripts from each post-secondary institution that you have attended. (All non-English language documents must be officially translated into English and submitted to the University of Toronto together with the originals.)
Applicants to the Digital Health Technologies field of concentration are encouraged to create and send a link to a YouTube segment they have created. The segment can be up to 2 minutes long and can be anything the applicant chooses to showcase. The segment can be something the applicant is interested in or a demonstration of their analytical ability or digital creativity. We suggest you disable comments to your YouTube posting. Please send the URL in your application cover letter.
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure all application requirements are correct and submitted by the deadline date.
6) Submit your application payment online.
7) Hold the appropriate interview dates in your calendar (based on the timeline above).
Interviews are either full-morning (9 a.m. to 1 p.m.) or full-afternoon (12 to 4 p.m.) and include a 30-minute Interpersonal Skills interview, a 30-minute Science interview and a 60-minute written component. There are two, occasionally three, interviewers present at each interview. All applicants who interview will have an opportunity to ask questions of current MBiotech students over a light lunch and brief tour, held from 12 to 1 p.m.
8) Check your application towards the end of January/early February for any status updates.
Submission of Additional Materials by PostFor application materials that cannot be submitted electronically, please address them to:
Master of Biotechnology Program Office
University of Toronto Mississauga
Innovation Complex, Room KN2260
3359 Mississauga Rd, Mississauga, Ontario L5L 1C6
Please note that due to COVID there will be a delay in the retrieval of your documents which are mailed.
If you have any trouble uploading documents, need to change the contact information for your referees, or have any issues updating your application file, please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com and we'll be happy to help you!