Digital Health Technologies Stream
MBiotech's Digital Health Technologies (DHT) stream is a two-year, full-time program comprised of required coursework and an internship placement in industry. No prior coding of statistical knowledge is assumed or required. Students complete 12 months of full-time study, after which they begin 8-12 months of mandatory, paid industry internships.
DHT prepares graduates for the emerging digital revolution in healthcare. This stream of the Program builds upon the trend of combining training in biology, in a health and chronic disease context, with advanced statistical analysis.
The digital health field itself is diverse and includes bio-physics, mobile medical apps, health information technology, general wellness, electronic medical records, software and cybersecurity, health information technology and wearable technology, to list a few. DHT is an area that invites a spectrum of expertise that goes beyond engineering and design.
Our program focuses specifically on three main pillars of the DHT field:
- Health & Regulatory - privacy, data governance, policies re. classification of medical products
- Data Science - combines advanced statistical training with domain knowledge about healthcare and disease
- Business - introduction to basic business concepts to understand profit drivers in this sector
- Problem-solving using advanced machine learning models for prediction;
- Data visualization;
- Use of proprietary social media analytic tools to look at health product influencers;
- Regulatory implications of data in a health context;
- Interplay of digital health product design and medical regulation;
- Products, companies key to digital health;
- Chronic diseases, aging at home and health and wellness issues;
- Business context of digital health technologies and reimbursement;
|Program Start||Annually each May (no other entry point is offered)|
|Duration||Two years, full-time (no part time option is offered)|
|Co-op||Eight months are required to graduate; up to 12 months may be completed|
|Co-op commences||May of Year 2 (upon completion of 12 months of required coursework)|
|Application Period||September to January annually; rolling admission is not offered; all applications are reviewed after the application deadline.|
|Admission interviews||Required for short-listed candidates; admission offers commence upon the completion of interviews|