With research becoming increasingly international, interdisciplinary, and collaborative, the Department of Mathematical and Computational Sciences (MCS) provides funding to support research visits of MSc and PhD students to other Canadian or International institutions.
The research visit grant is open to all research stream graduate students (Masters and PhD) who are affiliated at the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) and are supervised by an MCS faculty member.
To be appropriately identified in ROSI as 'UTM affiliated', students need to complete and submit the Campus Affiliation form on the SGS website.
Grant Purpose & Timing
Students will benefit from the opportunity for short research visits to other institutions, particularly to the laboratories of close collaborators of U of T faculty. Cost of travel and a monthly stipend for up to 3 months are provided to fund successful students to travel to research institutions within Canada or internationally.
Applicants can plan their visit for a few weeks to more than 3 months; however, those who wish to visit for longer than 3 months need to indicate this in the application form and get approval from their research supervisor.
The granting year for this program runs from May 1st - April 30th and students may be awarded up to a maximum of $6,000.
Note: applicants whose visits last longer than the amount funded are responsible for any amount exceeding the $6,000 maximum.
Application Process & Deadlines
- MCS Graduate Research Visit Program application
- A proposal outlining:
- what work you will do or skills you will acquire during your visit
- why you cannot do this work or acquire these skills at UTM
- how the work will fit into your research program, and
- what you will be able to contribute to the MCS community upon your return
- Proposed budget outlining travel and living expenses (e.g., accommodation, per diem)
- Support letter from the host
- Support letter from your research supervisor
All completed applications will be reviewed by the adjudicating committee, and the best 5 applicants will be awarded the grant for this program. If the total sum of grant requests exceeds the allowable funding, priority will be given to:
- Applicants who have not received this funding in previous years;
- Applicants who have a clear justification for their proposal in terms of the work they will do, why it cannot be completed at UTM, how it will fit into and enhance their research program, and how their work will benefit MCS.
Safety Abroad Registration
Students planning to participate in conferences/research activities held outside of Canada MUST review and/or complete the BEFORE THE TRIP items on the UofT’s Safety Abroad Office’s website - http://safetyabroad.utoronto.ca:
- Review your destination's Global Affairs Canada Travel Advisory - https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/advisories.
- Complete the Safety Abroad pre-departure workshop - https://apps.learningabroad.utoronto.ca/safety-abroad/onlineworkshop.
- Secure appropriate and sufficient travel health insurance - https://safetyabroad.utoronto.ca/safety-abroad-learning-resources/health-and-wellness.
- Add your trip to the Safety Abroad Registry - https://safetyabroad.utoronto.ca/safety-registry
Expense Eligibility & Reimbursement
Expense reimbursement claims must be in accordance with the Travel and Other Reimbursable Expenses - Policies and Guidelines at University of Toronto. For a quick reference list for expense reimbursements, please follow this check list.
Upon trip completion, students must submit an expense reimbursement claim for the eligible expenses incurred. The claim must be supported by original receipts/proof of payment (itemized and in the order of presentation on the claim form), boarding passes, the conference program and the signed application form. The expense claim form and detailed instructions on how to claim an expense reimbursement are available on the UofT Financial Services website.
Please submit your completed expense reimbursement claim form and the supporting documents (as noted above) to the Financial Officer, Alice Yang (firstname.lastname@example.org), for processing.