The departmental deadline: March 23, 2020
University of Toronto Excellence Awards (UTEA)
Purpose: To provide undergraduate students with funding to conduct a summer research project under a faculty member's supervision.
UTEA-NSE Value: $6,000 Requires a contribution of $1,125 by the supervising faculty member.
Duration: 14 full weeks in the summer term, between May 1 to Sept. 30.
Please note the following:
- The departmental deadline for receipt of applications is Monday, March 23, 2020.
- The supervisor of UTEA-NSE recipient must be a faculty member holding NSERC grant administered through UTM, either as the principal investigator or the co-applicant.
- Only one (1) UTEA application from each UTM academic department may be submitted. Within units where faculty members have received both NSERC and SSHRC funding, they can submit one for each category (SSH and NSE).
- The applicant’s official transcript is to be attached to Part 1 of the application and given to the proposed supervisor.
- For each UTEA award, the faculty supervisor must complete an application using the My Research – Applications (MRA) online system by the deadline, March 13: http://www.research.utoronto.ca/my-research/.
NB: In order to submit the application, a document must be attached to the MRA record, so the scanned completed UTEA application AND student transcript should be attached.
Applications should be submitted to the Undergraduate Counselor in the MCS Department Office (3012 Deerfield Hall), no later than Monday, March 23, 2020.
Please contact Rong Wu at email@example.com or 416-979-4904 with any questions you may have regarding this award opportunity.
Faculty members who hold NSERC Grants and are eligible to supervise UTEA in the MCS Department at UofT Mississauga are:
Dr. Julie Desjardins, Mathematics
Dr. Jessica Burgner-Kahrs, Computer Science
Dr. Michael Groechenig, Mathematics
Dr. Ilia Binder, Mathematics
Dr. Jacopo de Simoi, Mathematics
Dr. Yael Karshon, Mathematics
Dr. Konstantin Khanin, Mathematics
Dr. Dehan Kong, Statistics
Dr. Yevgeny Liokumovich, Mathematics
Dr. Sushant Sachdeva, Computer Science
Dr. Arul Shankar, Mathematics
Dr. Florian Shkurti, Computer Science
Dr. Stanislav Volgushev, Statistics
Dr. William Weiss, Mathematics
Dr. Daniel Wigdor, Computer Science
Dr. Michael Yampolsky, Mathematics
Dr. Ke Zhang, Mathematics
To ensure the health of our community, and the continuity of our research, academic and business activities during Coronavirus pandemic, the Office of the Vice-Principal, Research NO LONGER require hard copies of application packages for this year’s UTEA competition. You can hold onto the original signed application forms for future reference. Here are the required documents:
- signed student application form (either a scan or a photo)
- student transcripts in electronic format (eTranscripts — if student has ordered traditional transcripts, a scan or photo of traditional transcripts is ok too)
- signed faculty application form (either a scan or a photo)