UTM Abroad - France & Belgium
Students who have completed at least one year of full-time studies and wish to study abroad for one or two semesters should contact the University of Toronto Centre for International Education Office, or consult their website. Students may request credit for a course offered by the Department of French, subject to the general rules for eligibility. For more information, contact the Global Mobility Coordinator.
Summer Programs in France and Quebec
- For the Explore Program, please consult its website.
- For the UofT summer abroad courses in Tours, France, please consult the UofT website. Students enrolled in the summer abroad program are granted UofT credits.
- For information on any of these programs, please contact the Global Mobility Coordinator.
UTM Abroad: Explore Paris
Course: FRE398 • The Culture of Paris
Spend 10 days immersing yourself in the culture of Paris alongside your classmates, Professor Pascal Michelucci, and a UTM staff member. Explore the capital through walking tours, world-famous museums and monuments, and visits to iconic sites that define Paris like the Champs Élysées, Musée de Victor Hugo, historic department stores, and the Eiffel Tower.
- Experience, first-hand, the rich history and culture of Paris.
- Immerse yourself in an intensive experience to develop your fluency in French.
- Engage in an active learning environment that will be educational, practical, and unforgettable.
- Add international experience to your resume.
- Establish connections with fellow students and your professor.
Students enrolled in FRE400H5 French Studies Internship have the opportunity to apply their knowledge and skills developed in French in a work placement.
Research Opportunity Program (ROP) Courses
Enrolment in ROPs are limited and require faculty/departmental approval.
For more information on available ROPs in French or other disciplines, please visit the Experiential Education Unit website.
Past projects include:
- Research Internship in China – Chinese UTM Abroad Program (Supervisor: Prof. Rosa Hong)
- Impact Study on the Summer Language Programs in UTM (Supervisor: Prof. Rosa Hong)
- Curriculum Mapping in Second Language Teaching Programs (Supervisor: Prof. Rosa Hong)
Work-Study positions can be found on the CLN website.
Research Assistant (RA) positions are also available to undergraduate and graduate students. Students involved in faculty research projects participate in all aspects of the research, including publications and conference presentations.
Past projects include:
“Language experience and linguistic skills among multilingual learners in higher education” (Supervisor: Prof. Jeffrey Steele)
“Press and celebrity culture in Quebec (1930-1972)” (Supervisor: Prof. Adrien Rannaud)
"Heritage Language Acquisition and Maintenance in a Trilingual Context” (Supervisor: Prof. Mihaela Pirvulescu)
Join us and chat in French with our « Cafés-Rencontres »: let’s meet and talk together in French!
For more information about the “cafés-rencontres”, please write to ÉFUTM at firstname.lastname@example.org.
French Summer Camp
The French Summer Camp is a full French immersion experience. It is a unique camp program combining academic, cultural & recreational activities. This camp is for ages 9-13, divided into small groups. Activities include sports, swimming, games, and daily lunch.
Please check back for registration information.
The summer camp will not run in Summer 2023.