EDS388H5F - Ecuador
This internship is a minimum 100-hour experiential learning opportunity. The internship connects the student's subject specialization to aspects of the teaching/training development profession. It will integrate, extend, and deepen the learning experience as students begin to identify particular academic or professional insights. Prior to enrollment, internship proposals must be approved by the program coordinator. As part of this course, students may have the option of participating in an international learning experience that will have an additional cost and application process.
Exclusion: CTE388H5 or CTE388Y5
Recommended Preparation: EDS200H5 and EDS210H5 and EDS220H5 and EDS300H5 (may be taken as a co-requisite).
The Global Learning Experience
Prof. Liz Coulson and the IEC have developed a global opportunity for students to explore education systems in Ecuador. This virtual internship will take place over the 2021 summer term. Students taking this international internship option will explore education systems in Ecuador. Students will gain 100 hours of work experience teaching youth virtually in Colegio Menor Guayaquil, a bilingual private school that is part of Nord Anglia Education. Students will also have an opportunity to connect with their peers in the Education Sciences program at Universidad San Francisco de Quito to exchange ideas about their experience with local school systems in Canada and Ecuador. The aim of the international component of the course is to help you expand your understanding of education systems outside of Canada, gain experience within the classrooms, and build your intercultural fluency skills.
- Applications Close: Wednesday, April 28th, 2021
- Pre-Placement Training and Orientation: Begins Wednesday, April 28th, 2021
- Placement: May 9, 2021 - June 20, 2021 (dates subject to variability based on placement).
- This half credit (0.5) course is offered over the full academic session. After your placement, you will work on a giveback project.
- Observe and appreciate the education system of Ecuador while getting hands-on experience through the internship.
- Connect with the history, culture, and education of Ecuador.
- Establish connections with fellow students and your professor.
- Add global learning to your resume.
- This program has a limited number of spaces.
- The programming agenda and internship placements are subject to change.
- Students must be enrolled in EDS388H5F and will be required to abide by the corresponding UTM Abroad application requirements and deadlines to participate in this experience.
- Participants must complete the required application by the specified deadline as found on www.uoft.me/utmabroadecuador ;
- Participants must connect with the appropriate resource on campus and make any requests for accommodation within 30-days of the application deadline;
- Participants are responsible for making a self-assessment regarding appropriateness of participation;
- Participants will continue to adhere to the University of Toronto policies including but not limited to the Code of Student Conduct and the Policy and Procedures: Sexual Harassment;
- Participants must attend and actively participate in all synchronous sessions, and asynchronous activities as outlined by UTM Abroad and any associated partners.
- Information collected through this program may be shared with relevant parties internal and external to the University as required for the proper implementation of the program;
- Should a student wish to cancel their participation in this experience, they must do so by Monday, May 3, 2021. If the participant cancels after Monday, May 3, 2021, or does not attend and actively participate in the program they will be charged a cancellation fee of $200.00 for the space that was held for them in the program;
- Should the participant face unforeseen circumstances prohibiting them from participating in the program, they should submit an appeal to the International Education Centre detailing their circumstances and providing any relevant documentation. At the discretion of the University and under exceptional circumstances all or part of the cancellation fee may be waived.
Applications are due Wednesday, April 28th, 2021 by 11:59 pm.
Complete the UTM Abroad Application through the UTM Abroad Portal.
- Use Firefox or Google Chrome;
- Use a desktop computer rather than your mobile device;
- You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader to print forms completed through the UTM Abroad Portal. Adobe Acrobat Reader should be installed before beginning the application process and can be downloaded here;
- Save your progress as you go by clicking "save" at the end of each section to avoid losing the information you have already entered in the form.
Wait for the International Education Centre to review your application. We will contact you with more details on the next steps. Contact us at email@example.com should you have any questions.