UHIP exemption and refunds
UHIP is mandatory for all international students. You are required to be enrolled in UHIP unless you are provided an exemption.
Pre-approved health care plans
You are eligible for an exemption if you receive coverage from one of the following pre-approved health care plans:
- Canadian International Development Agency Health Care Plan
- Canadian Bureau for International Education Health Care Plan
- Canadian Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan
- International Council for Canadian Studies Plan
- National Insurance Office for Social Insurance Abroad (Norway)
- World University Service of Canada Plan
- Embassy of Kuwait
- Interim Federal Health Care Plan
- Health Economic Administration, HELFO Abroad
- Saudi Arabian Cultural Bureau – GWL
- Libyan Plan
- Schlumberger Plan
- Fletcher Allen
To receive an exemption, you must visit the UHIP office with the Pre-approved Health Care Plan Form (PDF) or Pre-approved Health Care Plan Form (OHIP) (PDF) and proof of your health coverage. The refund for your UHIP premium will be adjusted on your ROSI account. All pre-approved exemption requests must be initiated as soon as possible. Applications will not be accepted after the refund deadline.
Non pre-approved plans
If you receive coverage from a health plan that is not listed above, you may apply for an exemption directly to Sun Life. However, please be aware that it is extremely difficult to obtain an exemption from UHIP. All non-pre-approved exemption requests must be initiated no more than 30 days after you are enrolled in UHIP.
To apply for exemption, you will need to submit a UHIP Exemption Form. This form, along with all required documents, must be sent directly to Sun Life:
Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada
PO Box 4097, Station A
Toronto, Ontario M5W 2Z5
Telephone: 1-877-250-UHIP (8447)
Please see the UHIP website for more information on exemptions.
Eligibility for a partial UHIP refund
You may be eligible for a partial refund of your UHIP premium if you meet the following conditions:
- you become eligible for OHIP* or
- you receive a UHIP exemption or
- you withdraw from your undergraduate/graduate program or
- you complete your academic program or
- you have dependents who have left Canada.
If you are eligible for a refund, you must apply for it as early as possible. Timing is very important and will affect the amount of refund you receive (see UHIP Refund Deadline below).
*Note: If you obtain OHIP coverage after the refund application deadline, you may still apply for a partial UHIP refund. Note that your refund amount will be pro-rated to the date that your refund application is submitted to the UHIP office.
UHIP refund deadline
Refund applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis until February 28. Refund applications will not be accepted from March 1 to August 31.
If you are eligible for a refund, you must apply for it as early as possible. You are financially responsible for every month in which you have active UHIP coverage. Refunds will not be made retroactively.
- If you submit your refund application in October, you will be charged $114.00 for two months of UHIP coverage.
- If you submit your refund application in February, you will be charged $342.00 for six months of UHIP coverage.
If you apply on the 1st of the month, you will still be charged the full monthly premium.
To apply for a refund, you must visit the UHIP office with your relevant documentation. Your application for a refund must be made by the deadline in order to be considered for any refund of your UHIP premium.
International students who have recently changed their legal status in Canada from “international student” to “permanent resident” must ensure that their legal status is updated with the University of Toronto. If your international student status is not updated, a UHIP coverage charge will be added to your account each academic year.
For more information, visit the UHIP website.