Service Canada Webinar

Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a 9 digit number that you need in order to work in Canada or to have access to government programs and benefits. You will need a SIN if you want to file an income tax return in Canada.

You can get a SIN by applying online or by mail. You will need the documents listed in the Booking and Documentation section below to apply. If you have permission to work in Canada but are currently outside of Canada, the SIN can be mailed to your country of residence if your proof of address is accepted and all requirements are met.

There is no fee for getting your SIN and in most cases the SIN will be given to you when you apply for it.

Study permit holders

To get a SIN using your study permit, it must include one of the following statements:

  • May accept employment on the campus of the institution at which registered in full-time studies.
  • May work 20 hours per week off campus or full time during regular breaks if meeting criteria outlined in section 186(v) of IRPR.
  • May accept employment on or off campus if meeting eligibility criteria as per R186(f), (v) or (w). Must cease working if no longer meeting these criteria.

If your study permit does not have any of the above-mentioned statements, you need to apply for an amendment to your study permit before you can apply for a SIN.

If your study permit has the above-mentioned statements, you will need the following documents to apply for your SIN:

  • passport
  • study permit
  • proof of address

You can learn more about how Service Canada is issuing SINs online at the following webinar:

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.