Co-Op Work Permit

Co-op Work Permit

Work experience is a required component of some programs of study. If you are registered in such a program, you will need a work permit to fulfill this requirement. You are permitted to accept employment either on or off campus for a co-op, internship or for professional experience.

To be eligible for this work permit you must:

  • Have a valid study permit; and
  • Obtain a letter from your faculty indicating that employment is an integral part of your degree program.

In most cases, the University of Toronto will be listed as the employer. The expiry date of your co-op work permit will be the same as your study permit expiry date. However, the co-op work permit can only be used for the mandatory internship requirement of your program. 

There is no processing fee required for the co-op work permit. We highly recommend that you apply online

Important Note

If you are planning to work with children or in the health services field, you must complete and pass a medical examination before submitting your application.  You should book your medical examination well in advance as the process can be lengthy.  For a complete list of these occupations and a list of Designated Medical Practitioners who can perform the exam, visit the IRCC website.  When you submit your work permit application, attach proof that you underwent a medical exam (i.e. a copy of your medical receipt). Failure to do so may result in processing delays or the rejection of your application.