TA Hiring Policy
STATEMENT OF POLICY
Appointment of Teaching Assistants
Covered by the CUPE Local 3902 Unit 1 Collective Agreement
Department: Institute for Management and Innovation
Date: October 2020
Posting of Vacancies
1. Where are the notices located?
- Electronic posting to our graduate students via the student listserv
- Unit 1 Centralized electronic job posting board
- Departmental website
2. When are the notices posted?
- Fall/Winter postings - by June 30th
- Summer - by March 15th
We also post a number of emergency postings for each round as needed.
3. Are other means of notifying potential applicants used?
We copy CUPE3902 Unit 1 on invitations to apply and in some cases where there are requirements specific to certain disciplines.
4. Are vacancies posted in other departments? If so, which departments?
We generally don’t post to other departments as a rule, but do make exceptions (as per #3 above).
1. Where are the application forms located, if they are used?
2. What is the procedure to be followed by the applicant in order to be considered?
To be considered for a position, please submit:
- application form
- updated Curriculum Vitae
- transcript (if applicable)
1. By whom is the decision to employ teaching assistants made?
By the Institute Administrator and Director in consultation with departmental faculty.
2. Article 16:03 of the Collective Agreement outlines the hiring criteria used when filling positions. How does your department put these criteria into practice?
Decisions are made by the Institute Administrator and Assistant, who is the Designated Authority for the Institute for Management and Innovation Article 16:03 of the CUPE 3902, Unit 1 Collective Agreement outlines the hiring criteria used when filling positions, The Administrator Assistant takes input from instructors into account, but makes a decision on the basis of all criteria spelled out in the collective agreement (academic qualifications, demonstrable suitability for the position, the University’s need to support excellent students with, financial need, the need to acquire experience, previous experience, teaching ability and (for continuing students) previous satisfactory employment under the provisions of the collective agreement).
3. When are applicants advised of the outcome of their applications?
For the regular academic year, applicants to the regular round are normally advised of the outcome of their application within 20 business days of the application deadline (and no later than August 7th). Once most of the hiring has been made (i.e. offers have been accepted) the Administrator will send an email to all applicants indicating that regular hiring has been completed. There may be some emergency postings to reflect later adjustments in enrollment, resignations, or for other unforeseen reasons.
For the summer term, applicants to the regular round are normally advised of an application outcome within 20 business days of the application deadline (and no later than April 22nd). Once most of the hiring has been made (i.e. offers have been accepted) the Administrator will send an email to all applicants indicating that regular hiring has been completed.
1. Does the department provide appointments beyond the number guaranteed in the Collective Agreement?
Yes, as long as employees maintain their registration as University of Toronto Mississauga, subject to availability of TA hours.
2. Subsequent appointments are guaranteed to certain employees under the Collective Agreement (see article 16:05); how are subsequent appointments assigned?
- Preferences indicated by students will be considered when making assignments
- Students eligible for subsequent appointments are notified by email and are required to indicate their intention to accept or decline their subsequent appointment.
- Students with subsequent appointments are assigned appointments prior to job posting of available positions
3. Are there any other conditions governing re-appointments?
Yes – Students who receive unsatisfactory performance reviews in 2 or more subsequent terms may not be offered a further Teaching Assistantship.