October is national Cyber Security Awareness Month
October is national Cyber Security Awareness Month. Information & Instructional Technology Services (I&ITS) at UTM will be spreading the good word on how to better keep university data and your personal data safe and secure.
What to expect in October from I&ITS at UTM:
- Daily social media tips and articles on Cyber Security Awareness
- Digital Signage campaign to raise awareness and promote best practices on information security
- Weekly themes and presentations on various Information & Cyber Security topics
- UTM Service Desk Device Clinic - Visit the UTM Service Desk on advertised days and have your mobile devices verified for up to date software & security in exchange for a treat! (It’s Halloween season after all, free candy for everyone!) – Starting the second week of October
- Spot the Phish – Come by the UTM Service Desk on advertised days, make an attempt to spot a phishing email and treat yourself to candy and spin the wheel for a chance to win prizes! (Yes, more candy and prizes!) – Starting the second week of October
I&ITS will also be cross promoting the Information Security Education & Awareness campaign materials from St. George Downtown (ITS), including:
- Articles, events, tip sheets and blogs on Security Matters
- Social media – including a creative contest!
How can you participate?
- Change your email signature for the month of October to raise awareness (copy, paste and modify the content of the example included at the bottom of this post)
- Cross promote social media posts from @UTMServiceDesk and @uoftcyberaware
- Take time to review the tips & advice and incorporate them into your daily routine
- Join us at advertised events and at the UTM Service Desk for Device Clinic and Spot the Phish days!
- Be aware of phishing & suspicious messages. The University of Toronto never sends an email message asking for a UTORid/password. Not for any reason.
Thank you for joining us and for participating in this important initiative!
Cyber Security Awareness Month Signature Template (Copy & Paste):
If you were not able to modify the template below, please email email@example.com for a Word document template.
[YOUR NAME – Arial, bold, size 12], [YOUR TITLE – Arial, size 10]
[DEPARTMENT/FACULTY NAME - Arial, size 10]
[COMPLETE OFFICE ADDRESS]
Tel [PHONE NUMBER - Arial 10] | [EMAIL - Arial 10]