Call to Action (UTM Minor)
A Call to Action is intended to grab a user's attention and draw them to a particular page or site. All Call to Action content contains a mandatory title, an image that is no larger than 228px wide by 228px tall (larger images will be scaled accordingly), and a URL with a title. Optionally, you may also include a short blurb to appear before the link.
From the Add Content dropdown menu on the administrative toolbar select Add Call to Action.
You will need to do the following:
- Enter a Title. The one in the example is "Call to Action Example"
- Upload an image that is at at least 228px wide and enter appropriate alternative text.
- Optionally, enter a blurb. This should be kept short. In the example it is "This is a short blurb."
- Enter a link and give the link a title. The link title should represent an action. In the example this is seen as "Learn more".
- Scroll to the bottom and click the Save button.
Once you have saved your call to action, it's time to add it to some pages.
- From your administrative toolbar select Blocks
- Scroll down to the section titled Disabled, you should find an item with the title of your call to action.
- Select configure at the end of the row containing your block.
- In the section labelled Region settings locate the theme with (default theme) next to it.
- In the dropdown below this theme, choose Right Sidebar.
- You can set the remaining themes to Right Sidebar as well, but it is not necessary unless you plan on changing themes.
- To show this only on specific pages, under Show block on specific pages choose Only the listed pages
- In the textarea below, enter the path for each page you want your call to action to appear on (one per line). They should be relative paths of the form "path/to/your-page" excluding the "www.utm.utoronto.ca/your-subsite/" portion.
Tip: You can enter <front> to place the block on the front page. See an example of block visibility.
- Click Save block at the bottom of the page.
Your call to action will now appear on every page you listed in step 7!
- Avoid images of text where possible. See more about images of text.
- Keep the blurb short.
- Your link title should represent an action (e.g. "Act now", "Register here", "Learn more", etc.).
- If linking to a page within your site, try using a relative URL in the URL field
- While Call to Action blocks can be placed on either the left or right sidebars, it is recommended that they be placed in the Right Sidebar region for your pages for consistent placement throughout the site.
- When placing the Call to Action block, try to limit the placement to pages that are relevant to the URL it is linking to. For example, if your Call to Action is targeted at new students it might not make sense to have it appear on pages targeted to returning students.