ICCIT has developed a series of Media Skills workshops to augment students' in-class learning, culminating in the Certificate of Completion in Media Skills. Media Skills workshops complement the required curriculum of ICCIT programs as well as the Professional Experience Certificate in Digital Media, Communication and Technology and the Certificate in Digital Communication.
- Certificate of Completion in Media Skills overview
- Workshops schedule
- How to register for workshops
- How to request your Certificate of Completion in Media Skills
- Tracking your progress with workshops
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Certificate of Completion in Media Skills overview
This is the venue where ICCIT in-program students, at no additional cost to them, are able to begin to understand the value of investing in the process of lifelong learning through a self-curated educational experience.
The Certificate of Completion in Media Skills is an optional not-for-credit offering that is awarded based upon the full participation within and completion of at least 10 unique Media Skills workshops offered by ICCIT. All workshops are in addition to ICCIT’s for-credit course offerings; thus, no transcript notation will be added to the student’s official academic record.
Workshops are offered in 3 cycles per year:
- Winter (February)
- Spring (May)
- Fall (October)
While the topics of workshops may vary per cycle, students can expect approximately 5-10 different topics per cycle. The amount of sessions that will be offered for each topic will ultimately depend on the students' interest in a particular topic, as well as the availability of the respective facilitators.
How to register for workshops
Notifications of how to register for each semester's workshops will be sent to students via email at the end of September, beginning of February, and the end of April each year.
How to request your Certificate of Completion in Media Skills
Students who have completed at least 10 unique Media Skills workshops will be able to indicate that they have done so by filling out the "Request Form for an ICCIT Certificate of Completion in Media Skills", which can be accessed on the active Media Skills Quercus page.
Students should hold off on requesting a Certificate of Completion in Media Skills to be issued until they are nearing the end of their ICCIT program to ensure each Media Skills workshop they have taken is captured on their certificate, as each student is ONLY eligible for 1 Certificate of Completion in Media Skills to be issued to them.
NOTE: Certificates of Completion in Media Skills are only issued 2 times per year
- If you have met the minimum requirements and submit the request form between December 1st & June 30th, your Certificate of Completion in Media Skills will be issued by August 30th.
- If you have met the minimum requirements and you submit the request form between July 1st and November 30th, you will be issued your Certificate of Completion in Media Skills by January 31st.
Tracking your progress with workshops
In addition to learning a variety of new skills and building your professional network, the Media Skills workshops allow you to work towards the goal of obtaining a Certificate of Completion in Media Skills. Just as you would with any program/degree that you are working towards completing, you need to track your progress so that you know what you have completed and what remains to be completed.
- Important: There should be no ambiguity with regards to which sessions you have successfully completed. It is your responsibility to keep track of this and plan accordingly. Please be sure to keep a record of your progress throughout the certificate. You may want to consider downloading and using our "ICCIT Media Skills Workshop Tracking Form" and updating it as you progress through the certificate. You can download the document by selecting the link below:
ICCIT Media Skills Workshop Tracking Form
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- We offer a variety of unique workshops. The topics of workshops include:
- 3D Modelling
- Audio Production & Editing
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- How to Edit: A Clear Voice is Everything
- Microsoft Excel
- Productive Discomfort: Practicing the Process of Creative Writing
- Tableau Desktop
- UX Design
- Video Editing
For a full list of our workshop offerings and facilitators, please see our Media Skills Workshops & Facilitators page.
- What does "full participation" mean?
- It means that the student was present within the workshop from the start until the conclusion of the workshop, AND that they have engaged in each activity, including exercises, discussions, breakout rooms, etc. Attendance is taken throughout the workshop.
- Most workshops are 3 hours, will we get a break?
- Yes. After every hour of a synchronous workshop students will receive a 5-10 minute break. Thus, if a workshop is 3 hours long, you will receive one 5-10 minute break after the first hour, and another one after the 2nd hour.
- May I take the same workshop more than 1 time?
- Yes, BUT the requirements for Certificate of Completion in Media Skills stipulate that you must take at least 10 unique workshops. This means even if you take "Introduction to Premiere" 3 times, it will only count as 1 workshop towards the certificate.
- Once I complete 10 workshops, will I automatically receive my Certificate of Completion in Media Skills?
- No. Students must complete the "Request Form for an ICCIT Certificate of Completion in Media Skills" (available on the active Media Skills Quercus page) indicating that they have completed a minimum of 10 unique workshops. Additionally, students must specify all of the workshops that they’ve attended. Then the ICCIT advising team will verify those details. If the student has met the requirements, a Certificate of Completion in Media Skills will be issued within the timeframe listed above.
- If I take more than 10 workshops, will I get two Certificates of Completion in Media Skills?
- No. It is anticipated that most students will take more than 10 workshops; however, those who take 10 are still eligible to receive the Certificate of Completion in Media Skills. You should hold off on requesting a Certificate of Completion in Media Skills until you are nearing the end of your ICCIT program to ensure each Media Skills workshop you have taken is captured on your certificate. Each student is ONLY eligible for 1 Certificate of Completion in Media Skills.
- To clarify, if you request a Certificate of Completion in Media Skills to be issued after you have completed 10 Media Skills workshops, but you decide to take more later, an additional certificate or reissuing of a certificate listing the additional Media Skills workshops you took will NOT be issued. Meaning, if a student has completed 10 workshops this semester and decides to request a certificate to be issued today, but then completes more Media Skills workshops over the next couple of semesters or years, they will not have a certificate that lists those additional workshops.
- If I am graduating after the Winter semester in June, am I eligible to take the May roster of workshops?
- Absolutely! This is your last opportunity to take Media Skills workshops while a student.
- Am I still eligible for the Certificate of Completion in Media Skills if I am currently pursuing the Professional Experience Certificate and/or the Certificate in Digital Communication?
- Yes. In fact, you are encouraged to complement your course work with Media Skills workshops.
- Can I take or continue to take the Media Skills workshops if I transfer to another program outside of ICCIT?
- No. The Media Skills workshops are exclusively available to students who are currently enrolled in ICCIT programs.
- What happens if I do not complete a workshop, or I am absent for a workshop that I registered for?
- ICCIT monitors attendance and participation in each Media Skills workshop. If our detailed records show that you registered for a workshop; however, you did not attend and/or did not complete the content, you will be rendered ineligible to register for the next semester's Media Skills workshops. To avoid this penalty, be sure to cancel your registration at least 48 hours prior to the workshop to ensure that those on the waitlist are able to attend in your place.
- Do I get course credit for the workshops I take?
- No, what you do get is more robust content to populate your resume with. Additionally, if you take 10 or more unique Media Skills workshops, you are eligible to request the Certificate of Completion in Media Skills to be issued to you.
- Reach out via email at firstname.lastname@example.org