Certificate of Completion in Media Skills
ICCIT has developed a series of Media Skills workshops to augment student's in-class learning, culminating in the Certificate of Completion in Media Skills. Attendance and full participation within a minimum of ten (10) unique Media Skills workshops can earn ICCIT students the Certificate of Completion in Media Skills; however, it is anticipated that most students will complete more than the minimum requirement of 10 Media Skills workshops over the course of their degree.
Media Skills workshops enrich classroom learning by providing ICCIT students with active learning opportunities to hone and practice their technical skills; learn about professional and industry application in their field of study; hear from industry leaders and experts as well as ICCIT faculty and alumni; and network in new ways with their peers and mentors.
The Certificate of Completion in Media Skills is an optional not-for-credit offering that is awarded solely based on completion/ attendance of Media Skills workshops offered by ICCIT. All workshops are in addition to ICCIT’s for-credit course offerings; thus, no transcript notation will be added to the student’s official academic record.
Going forward, each semester a unique roster of ~ 5-10 workshops will be offered. Workshop topics will range from UXD, video/audio editing, infographics, 3D design, to virtual reality, AI, API, coding, copy writing, and more!
Starting Summer 2021, students who have completed at least 10 Media Skills workshops will be able to indicate that they have done so by filling out a form to request their certificate is issued to them. Next the ICCIT administration unit will verify that the requesting student has completed the requisite minimum of 10 workshops. Within 8 weeks of requesting the certificate to be issued, assuming the minimum requirements have been meet, the Director of ICCIT will issue and sign a physical certificate that will be mailed to the student. If you have not met the minimum requirements, you will be notified.
Please note: Students should hold off on requesting a Certificate of Completion in Media Skills to be issued until they are nearing the end of your ICCIT program to ensure each media skills workshop you have taken is captured on your Certificate, as each student is ONLY eligible for 1 Certificate of Completion in Media Skills.
To clarify, if a student requests a Certificate to be issued after they have completed 10 Media Skills workshops, but they decide to take more later, an additional Certificate or reissuing of a Certificate listing the additional media skills workshops you took will NOT be issued. Meaning, if you have completed 10 workshops now and you decide to request a certificate to be issued today, but then complete more media skills workshops over the next couple of semesters or years, you will not have a Certificate that lists those additional workshops.
Students currently in the PWC, DEM, and CCIT programs are added to the Media Skills Quercus Shell semesterly so that they can register for workshops and keep abreast of workshop details.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs)
- What does "full participation" mean?
- It means that the student was present within the workshop from the start until the conclusion of the workshop, AND that they have engaged in each activity, including exercises, discussions, breakout rooms, etc. Attendance throughout the workshop is taken within each class.
- Most workshops are 3 hours, will we get a break?
- Yes. After every hour of a synchronous workshop students will receive a 5-10 minute break. So, if a workshop is 3 hours long, you will receive one 5-10 minute break after the first hour, and another one after the 2nd hour.
- Once I complete 10 workshops, will I automatically receive my certificate?
- No; however, starting summer 2021, students will have a form that they must fill out indicating that they have completed a minimum of 10 workshops, as well indicating which workshops they attended. Then the ICCIT administrative unit will verify those details. If the student has met the requirements, a certificate will be issued within 8 weeks.
- If I take more than 10 workshops will I get two certificates?
- No, as we anticipate that most students will take more than 10 workshops; however, those who take 10 are still eligible to receive the Certificate of Completion.
- Am I still eligible for the Certificate of Completion in Media Skills if I am currently pursing the Professional Experience Certificate and/or the Certificate in Digital Communication?
- Yes. In fact, you are encouraged to complement your course work with Media Skills workshops.
- If I am interested in the workshops, but do not wish to pursue the Certificate of Completion in Media skills, am I still able to register for the workshops?
- Yes. Engagement in the workshop is a resume building opportunity that all in-program ICCIT students are encouraged take advantage of.
- Can I take or continue to take the Media Skills workshops if I transfer to another program outside of ICCIT?
- No. The Media Skills workshops are exclusively available to currently enrolled in the CCIT, DEM, and/or PWC program(s).
- Do I get course credit for the workshops I take?
- No, what you do get is a more robust resume and if you take 10 or more, you are eligible for the Certificate of Completion in Media Skills. The Certificate of Completion in Media Skills is an optional not-for-credit professional development offering that is awarded solely based on completion and attendance within the workshops offered by ICCIT. All workshops are in addition to ICCIT’s for-credit course offerings; thus, no transcript notation will be added to the student’s official academic record.
- Reach out via email, email@example.com