Allergies & Other Dietary Requirements
If you have any food allergies, food sensitivities, intolerances, dietary restrictions as part of your spiritual or religious requirements, or if you have chosen to follow a specific diet (eg. vegetarian, vegan, etc.), PLEASE bring this information forward to us at Hospitality & Retail services, immediately after you have selected your Student Meal Plan!
If we know that you have specific dietary requirements, then we can help your Student Meal Plan work most effectively for you.
Steps to Take if you will be Living in Residence
- Select your Student Meal Plan as part of your online residence application process, or if you apply for residence in-person, contact us by email to select your Student Meal Plan; please include your name, student number, and Student Meal Plan selection in your email
- If you have any dietary requirements, please email us immediately after selecting your plan outlining your specific allergies, sensitivities, intolerances, and other dietary restrictions
- Hospitality & Retail Services will arrange a meeting with you and the General Manager and Executive Chef from our Food Service Provider to discuss your dietary requirements in more detail. Specifically, we will show you which food service outlets on campus can best meet your needs, introduce you to people in these outlets to whom you can talk to on a daily basis regarding food selections and alternatives, and to pick up special orders
- Once an action plan for you has been mutually established, you will be responsible for carrying out the action plan. Your adherence to the plan is essential to ensuring that you are able to find the foods that you can eat on a regular basis. Food service staff is trained in food allergy awareness and proper food handling techniques. Signs and labels will contain relevant nutritional information, including information relating to common allergens. Each non-branded food service outlet has information on the potential allergens in each of its menu items (for branded outlets, please consult the brand's website for this information). However, it is up to you to ask if you have any questions or concerns, and it is up to you to follow the plan that we worked together in establishing.
- Provide on-going feedback to us and the Food Service Provider, particularly when a concern arises. We will follow-up with you within six weeks of the start of the semester to see how things are going, but, unless we hear back from you, we will not be able to address any of your concerns.
We treat every situation uniquely, and we ensure that your situation is kept confidential. We know that an action plan for one person may not be the same as an action plan for someone else who has similar dietary requirements. Please do not assume that what you see in the online menus and on the menus posted at each food service outlet represents the only food choices available to you on a particular day. Your action plan will contain procedures on how to access items that may not appear on the menu to ensure that you dietary requirements are met.
We are committed to working with you to make the Student Meal Plan work best for your dietary requirements. All we ask is that you let us know what your dietary requirements are.
Please contact us if you are thinking of attending UTM and/or planning on living in residence, if you have any questions about Student Meal Plans, or your dietary requirements. We will be more than happy to address any concerns you may have and to arrange a meeting and/or campus tour of our food service facilities.
Questions? Contact us!
Davis Building suite 3127
Making experiences, exceptional