Hazel McCallion Academic Learning Centre
The Hazel McCallion Academic Learning Centre is certified to the LEED silver level, and is the first University of Toronto LEED certified building. The building incorporates several environmentally friendly features, such as:
- it was built over the site of an existing parking lot, so no green space was eliminated to construct it
- a rooftop garden, which is not only aesthetically pleasing, it also helps to reduce the 'urban heat island' effect
- the building used a significant amount of regionally sourced and recycled building materials
- a green cleaning program operates in the building, significantly improving indoor air quality
- low-flow plumbing fixtures, to reduce water use in the facility
- low-emitting building materials, significantly improving indoor air quality.