Report: October 7, 2005



REPORT OF THE ERINDALE COLLEGE COUNCIL meeting held on Friday, October 7, 2005 at 3:15 p.m., in the Council Chamber, South Building, UTM.

PRESENT: R. Beck (in the Chair), I. Orchard, B. Branfireun, N. Khan, S. McCarthy, A. Giles, B. Khan, A. Bhatti, S. Khan, T. Remmel, J. Lougheed-Laycock, B. Louie, C. Bryson, L. Gaspini, R. Arora, R. Reisz, L. Thomson, T. Carlile, C. Capewell, J. Linley, J. Hendricks, C. Misak, A. Vyas, F. Ul-Haq, R. deSouza, J. Lim, S. Foster, M.A. Mavrinac, B. Hamud, P. Tseng, I. Whyte, S. Kibria, Z. Baig, B. Adedoye, L. Ahmed Khan, A. Mensah, W. Khogali, N. Kabir, J. Delves, A. Bellerby, K. Giuliani, J. Paluzzi, B. Kolarinwa, M. Overton, Len Paris, A. Wensley
REGRETS: C. McGrath, M. Rennie, G. Anderson, A. Iwaniw, A. Bendlin

1. Adoption of Agenda

The Agenda was adopted. (I. Orchard/J. Lim)

2. Minutes of Previous Meeting (April 8, 2005)

The report of the previous meeting was approved. (C. Misak/R. Reisz )

3. Ratification of the new Erindale College Council membership

The Chair noted that all constituencies were filled with the exception of the part-time undergraduate student constituency, where 10 positions still remained to be filled. He noted that there were also two vacancies for the retired faculty constituency, who are appointed by the Vice-President and Principal. The Chair announced that nominations for the available positions for part-time students will be accepted until all of the available positions are filled. Professor Roger Beck was elected by acclamation as Chair of Council for another two-year term.

It was duly moved and seconded,
THAT the membership of Erindale College Council be ratified. The motion was approved. (I. Orchard/C. Misak)

4. Business Arising from the Minutes

a) Update on the parking garage – Ray deSouza, Chief Administrative Officer

Mr. deSouza reported that in the spring of 2005, Erindale College Council endorsed the proposal to have a special purpose company finance and build a 1000-car above-ground parking garage and operate parking services at UTM under the control and direction of the parking ancillary. He noted that since that time, UTM was engaged in extensive discussions and negotiations with Standard Parking, the Office of the Provost and the Vice-President of Business Services with respect to the financing and related liabilities involved in this project. It was found that even if third-party funding was guaranteed, the university would still be fiscally liable in the event of a default by any partner that made up the consortium. The University could not accept this liability as in doing so it would exceed its borrowing cap. As a result, and on the advice of the university’s legal team and its auditors, the project was cancelled in April of 2005. A final report of the project planning committee would be tabled at Business Board to close out the project. Mr. deSouza noted that temporary parking solutions are currently being implemented and that the parking situation would continually be assessed. Members of Council will be informed regarding any plans that might involve an investment in capital construction for a future parking garage.

5. Vice President and Principal’s Report

a) Student enrollment statistics

The Vice-President and Principal thanked outgoing members of Council and welcomed incoming members. He stressed the importance of Erindale College Council and its boards and committees and encouraged the participation of members in governance. He also thanked Professor Roger Beck in agreeing to serve for another two-year term as Chair of Council. He congratulated Dr. Beck on winning the Laurie Pallet Patron of the Arts Awards given in recognition of his work in conceiving and helping to develop the widely-celebrated Theatre & Drama Studies (TDS) program, which is taught jointly by UTM and Sheridan College Institute of Technology and Advanced Learning.

The Vice-President and Principal further expressed his thanks to staff that were responsible for welcoming incoming students and those involved in the planning and execution of UTM’s new entranceway and improvements to Mississauga Road. He noted that the project improved access to the campus and the flow of traffic on Mississauga Road and was an example of the positive partnership between the city and UTM.

He reported that UTM’s undergraduate population was at 9500 students with 380 graduate students in both the professional and doctoral streams. UTM also admitted 2600 new students this year and is on target for achieving a plateau in two years. He noted that of the 2600 new students, approximately 7% are international students, and 16% are permanent residents and recent immigrants to the country, further contributing to the diversity of the campus. Professor Orchard also reported that the recruitment cycle for the next academic year was well underway and extended his thanks to the recruitment team from the Office of the Registrar and volunteers who devoted much time to the Ontario Universities Fair.

b) Provincial budget and post-secondary education

In the spring of 2005, it was reported that the university was in the midst of lobbying the government to respond positively to the Rae Review. Since that time, the government of Ontario has announced a total investment of $6.2B in post-secondary education over 5 years. The government is now in the process of determining how best to distribute this funding. The Vice-President and Principal observed that universities had made some progress against the problem of gross under funding, but added that lobbying should be continued since the funding was only guaranteed for the next five years.

He highlighted four areas for which this funding would be used.

i. Quality enhancement

$1.2B of the above funding will go into post-secondary education operating grants marked for quality enhancement for current students. The funding will also support undergraduate enrolment growth, which universities had already assumed they were receiving. The government is currently discussing how to distribute this funding and how it should be used to enhance the student experience.

ii. Graduate student enrolment expansion

The Vice-President and Principal reported that $220M has been earmarked for the expansion of graduate student enrolment. The government would like to increase the number of graduate students by 14000 in Ontario. The university is developing plans to increase graduate enrolment by 4000 students (1800 for professional masters programs, 850 for doctoral stream masters programs and 1450 for PhD students.) At UTM, enrolment in existing professional masters programs will be increased and new professional masters programs created. Professor Orchard noted that the university as a whole and UTM in particular is in a good position to respond to these changes because in response to the Provost’s request, departments have already engaged in graduate student enrolment planning.

He further reported that the deans on the three campuses will be working in coordination to address increase in enrollment in the doctoral stream programs. This expansion will mean a rebalancing of the undergraduate to graduate student ratio and will mean more teaching assistants, lecturers and increases in research clusters. The university will receive both operating and capital funding for this enrolment increase.

iii. Expansion of medical student training

The Vice-President and Principal reported that in response to the government’s desire to increase the availability of medical program training in Ontario by 15%, UTM, in partnership with the Faculty of Medicine and Trillium Hospital has been working for more than a year to bring an academy of medicine to this campus. If successful, an academy of medicine would be located at UTM and would be linked to community hospitals. He added that the project brings with it operating and capital funds and that the government was waiting for a full set of proposals from other universities before rendering its decision on allocating this funding. Professor Orchard noted that UTM’s proposal was in a good position to be chosen as the successful candidate for this project. He added that the government has accepted the notion of an academy of medicine located at UTM in principle and discussion is now centered around the number of students and the corresponding capital funding distribution.

iv. Scholarship and financial aid

The Vice-President and Principal reported that there would be an increase in funding of $358M to scholarships and financial aid and that the Ontario Student Opportunity Trust Fund (OSOTF), would be re-introduced under a new name, the Ontario Trust for Student Support (OTSS). The University of Toronto was very successful in creating a large endowment from the OSOTF program and will take advantage of the new opportunity offered by the introduction of OTSS, which comes with an additional $50M for donation matching purposes. The government has also provided tuition grants of up to $6000 for 16,000 new university students.

The Chair opened the floor to questions.

A member commented on statistics released by the Status of Women’s Office that the number of women completing their graduate programs has decreased and asked whether the tri-campus deans would be working on solutions to this problem. The Dean explained that the tri-campus Dean’s group was currently discussing graduate student enrolment targets, along with how to ensure a diverse graduate student population and how to maximize their chances of completing their studies. She added that the university as a whole was continually working on these issues.

The member also commented that every year at the Council on Student Services (COS) students are asked to vote on ancillary fees and suggested that some of the $1.2B in operating grant funding go to cover increases in these fees. The Vice-President and Principal commented that UTM’s equivalent body to COS is QSS, which needs a majority of the committee and a majority of students to approve any increases in fees. He added that the Rae Review suggested eliminating the current ancillary fee and including it under tuition, but that the government did not respond to this recommendation. The current protocol is signed by SAC, GSU and APUS.

6. Reports of Standing Committees

The Chair called on Mr. Joe Lim to report on behalf of the Computing Committee.

a) Computing Committee – Joe Lim

On behalf of the Computing Committee, Mr. Lim reported that the committee heard updates on summer projects from Computing Services, Micro-Electronics and the Webmaster. In addition the library representative to the committee provided a presentation on technology related projects and expanded services in the Library. The Chair also discussed UTORid Migration (move to a single unique university identity) and the reorganization of Computing Services and Micro-Electronics in order to address its very large and flat structure.

With respect to the report of the web master on UofT and UTm web site traffic, the Committee heard there were approximately 300,000 views per month for the UTM homepage between January and September of 2005. According to web site traffic rankings, the following statistics were recorded: 18% go to, 15% go to, 12% go to, 7% go to, and 4% go to Traffic rankings for the UTM web site provide the following top ten UTM web pages regarding the number of ‘hits’:

  1. UTM homepage
  2. UTM Library homepage
  3. Registrar’s timetable
  4. List of Academic Departments
  5. Office of Registrar homepage
  6. Current Students homepage
  7. UTM Course Calendar
  8. UTM Library’s Student Portal page
  9. Events Calendar
  10. Career Centre

It was duly moved and seconded,

THAT the report of the Computing Committee be accepted. (J. Lim /M.A. Mavrinac) The motion was approved.

b) Resource Planning and Priorities Committee – Professor Robert Reisz

Professor Reisz reported that at the September 26, 2005 meeting of the Committee, members heard an update on capital construction projects from the Chief Administrative Officer. Regarding the CCIT building, it was reported that the project was being closed out in October and remained on budget. The Recreation, Athletics and Wellness Centre (RAWC) was 32% complete and on budget, with an anticipated completion date of August 2006. The Hazel McCallion Academic Learning Centre was 30% complete and on budget, also with an anticipated completion date of August 2006. Regarding Phase 8 of Residence it was reported that the building contract was awarded on August 31and that much work has been done by capital projects staff to reduce the costs of this project. It is anticipated that the project would be complete by April 2007.

Committee members heard that the Collegeway Entrance project was completed on August 31 with some soft landscaping, naturalization and signage work still remaining. Regarding general campus infrastructure work, the committee was informed that work on the micro turbine was completed and that the system provides between 8-10% of UTM’s energy, cooling, and heating needs. It was reported that solid oxide fuel cells were currently being assembled in Kingston for delivery and installation by the end of this year. Members also heard that UTM was in discussion with Enersource with respect to the upgrade of the campus electrical grid and that UTM was investigating upgrades to the sanitary and storm water systems. Members of RPPC complimented administration on the Mississauga Road improvements and the construction of the new entrance.

Professor Reisz continued his report of the last meeting of the Committee by noting that the Chief Administrative Officer also informed members about changes to administrative units. The mandates of service and technology related units were reviewed and restructured. Facilities Resources was split into two groups with distinct responsibilities: Utilities and Grounds with oversight for engineering, electrical support, heating/air conditioning, storm-water management, grounds, landscaping, headed by Paull Goldsmith as director and Infrastructure and Facilities, with oversight for space and facilities planning, project management, stores, caretaking and property management, with Sol Kessler, as director. Formerly Micro-Electronics, the Technology Resource Centre with Anil Vyas as director takes care of all aspects of instrumentation, undergraduate laboratory infrastructure, classroom infrastructure and security and access control systems. Audio Visual services have moved to this group. In addition, Computing services was also restructured to create the groups of Web technology services, Network Services (security, lan administration) and Client services (erinconnect, residence net) with Joe Lim as director. Instructional Media Services will now be reporting to Computing Services.

Professor Reisz reported that the Committee also received an extensive report from the Transportation and Parking subcommittee. It was reported that after the outcome of the parking structure and outsourcing of parking operations, UTM engaged LEA Consulting to survey, analyze, and make recommendations regarding parking supply and demand and transportation options. Their report concluded that with operational adjustments to various lots, and with marketing and pricing adjustments by operations, UTM has adequately matched parking demand with supply for the 2005/06 academic year. This has been accomplished by the reconfiguration of lot 4, which has provided additional spaces and the planned expansion to Lot 9. The LEA report also indicated that in the event UTM reclaims “temporary” lots, or in fact moves forward with development of new buildings on existing “temporary” parking lots, UTM will most certainly experience a significant parking shortage in the future. The Committee also heard about operational changes to Lot 4B which due to the new entranceway construction was made available to construction workers for a monthly fee; the balance of Lot 5 reserved was made available as residence spaces. In addition, CCIT underground garage parking was priced and marketed differently this year, which has resulted in 300 permit sales and has shifted many drivers from other lots, most notably Lot 5 and Lot 9. Pay & Display machines would be implemented on the lowest two levels of the CCIT underground garage by October. Parking operations will also be working with campus police, to improve enforcement efforts and ensure greater compliance with parking regulations. It was also announced that the UTM Shuttle bus stop on the St. George campus was moved from the Medical Sciences Building to Hart House. Business Services monitors shuttle bus counts regularly and adjusts the bus to suit demand as much as possible, taking into account total demand, critical service times, and budget. Operations, working with Capital projects, also made improvements to campus traffic, notably the ring road, with the addition of crosswalks and warning lights at critical locations.

Professor Reisz noted that the Committee also received a report of the Grounds Monitoring subcommittee, which detailed that group’s activities and presented detailed information on the many environmental affairs related projects at UTM. For more information on campus sustainability projects, campus tree planting events, transit initiatives, energy conservation projects and emerging energy technologies, members are asked to contact UTM’s Environmental Affairs Office.

It was duly moved and seconded,

THAT the report of the Resource Planning and Priorities Committee be accepted. (R. Reisz/C. Misak)

The Chair opened the floor to questions.

A member asked whether construction for Phase 8 could start later than 7 am in the morning, due to the construction noise. The Development Manager for capital projects explained that the municipal bylaw provision permits construction work to start at 7 am and that UTM’s contract specifications are consistent with this municipal by-law and with the industry standards of the construction trades of the GTA. However, he undertook to explore the possibility of delaying the construction start-time with the contractor and would report back to the next meeting of ECC on any progress. He added that such a delay might affect the total contract price and construction schedule of the project.

In response to a member’s query regarding the reason for the early demolition of Colman House, the Dean of Student Affairs explained that the project planning committee anticipated the construction of the residence phase to start much earlier, but there were delays in the university’s and the cost consultant’s pricing of the project, which meant a postponement of the target start date. He noted that if this costing delay could have been identified earlier, Colman would not have been shut down so early.

In response to a member’s question about the status of the Alumni House project, Mr. deSouza explained that a project planning committee would be set up to determine the level of renovations needed prior to safe occupancy of the building, working within the guidelines of the heritage designation by-law. The CAO added that the City of Mississauga needed to remove an underground oil storage tank.

The motion was approved.

c) Academic Affairs Committee – Professor Anthony Wensley

On behalf of the Academic Affairs Committee, Professor Wensley reported that at its last meeting on September 27, the Committee heard two reports. The first was from the Office of the Registrar and detailed new services for students, faculty and staff as well as preliminary enrolment figures. Although the Registrar was not available for a similar report to ECC today, it was agreed that she would be invited to provide it at the November meeting of Council. The second report to the Committee was from Devin Kreuger, Research Manager from the Office of the Vice-Principal Research on the establishment and inaugural year of the Undergraduate Ethics Review Committee. Professor Wensley called on Mr. Kreuger to provide more information on this very important issue.

i. Undergraduate Ethics Review Committee – Devin Kreuger, Research Manager, Office of the Vice-Principal Research

Mr. Kreuger distributed the terms of reference of the Ethics Review Committee (ERC) and its membership for 2005-06. He explained that the committee was established in 2004 in response to the tri-campus policy on ethics. UTM was the first UofT unit to embark on this process. According to the Tri-Council Policy Statement (TCPS), the University is responsible for reviewing all research activities involving its faculty and students. In the case of undergraduate research activities, the TCPS allows for ethical review to be conducted at the departmental or divisional level.

Consequently, in early 2003, Research Managers across the University of Toronto were asked by the Ethics Review Office (ERO) to establish undergraduate ethics review committees for the 2004-05 academic year. UTM and the St. George Sociology Department were the only two units able to put together ERCs according to the ERO’s schedule.

Mr. Kreuger reported that during 2004-05, the ERC reviewed 31 protocol submissions. Thirty of the protocols were subject to expedited reviews, and the ERC met only once to discuss a protocol that potentially presented a greater than minimal risk to the project participants.

On September 7th, UTM hosted a workshop to explain the undergraduate ethics review process to interested course instructors.

It was duly moved and seconded,

THAT the report of the Academic Affairs Committee be accepted. (A. Wensley/M. Lettieri) The motion was approved.

7. Other Business

The Chair invited all members of Council to two planned events as follows:

a) Erindale College Council Member Orientation: Monday, October 31, at 3:00 p.m. in the Faculty Club. Members were asked to access the orientation agenda on the Council web site and to respond with their intention to attend to the Council office.

b) Information Session on Curriculum and Ancillaries: Thursday, November 24, 3:00 p.m. in the Faculty Club to prepare members to receive the curriculum reports and the ancillary budgets for approval. Members were asked to respond with their intention to attend this session to the Council office.

8. Next Meeting – Thursday, November 10, 2005

The next meeting of Erindale College Council is scheduled for Thursday, November 10, 2005.

The meeting adjourned at 4:25 p.m. (A. Vyas/J. Linley)

Secretary of Council _________________________Chair _______________________________

November 2, 2005