Run GIS software on Mac OS
Software and License for Mac Users
ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro and ERDAS are Windows software. You have to host a Windows OS before installing GIS software.
Hosting a Windows system under Mac system
Mac users can use Parallels or Boot Camp to host Windows 10.
- Windows 10
- Windows 10 Home license is available at Microsoft Online Store.
- Parallels for Mac
- Parallels allows you to run Windows without creating a partition on your machine.
- An annual license subscription is available from uoft.onthehub.com at a discounted price.
- A perpetual license is available from Parallels.
- Recommended settings for Parallels to run ArcGIS Pro
- Run the Mojave operating system or later.
- Disable the Auto graphics switching option in the Mac system settings and Parallels.
- Set the GPU memory assignment to Auto.
- Assign at least 2 virtual CPUs to the machine.
- Apple's Boot Camp
- Boot Camp allows you to install Windows Desktop OS on a hard disk partition on the Mac hard drive. This allows Windows software to run natively on a Windows partition on the Mac.
- You will use Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 10.
- Here are comprehensive instructions on installing Boot Camp and then installing Windows.