ArcGIS License and Software
Please request software and license from Map & Data Library , and Library staff will email you with a license key and the software download and installation instructions.
Two types of licenses to choose
- Named User license which authenticates your profile online
- Node-Locked license assigns a dedicated license to a computer/laptop
A Named User license is a preferred option if you are not sharing your computer/laptop and always online.
A license will be assigned to your laptop/computer, and anyone who signs on your workstation can use ArcGIS Pro. Select this option if you will be working in fields with limited or no network connectivity.
Please request software and license from Map & Data Library , and Library staff will email you with a license key and installation instructions.
- Anyone can use the software when logging into the computer/laptop
- No internet connection is required
- No need to sign on to the ESRI license portal when launching ArcGIS Pro
- Need to acquire a license from Map and Data Library
- Need to renew an updated license every August
Named User license
By default, ArcGIS Pro uses a license type called Named User. With a Named User license, you sign in to ArcGIS Pro with credentials authentic through the ESRI ArcGIS Online portal or ESRI UofT portal.
- Can use ArcGIS Pro throughout your university study
- No need to obtain a license for your computer/laptop
- UofT maintains the license. You don't need to renew your ArcGIS Pro license.
- Authenticate your profile from the ESRI ArcGIS Online portal if you already have an ArcGIS Online account or from ESRI UofT Portal
- Can use ArcGIS Pro if the computer/laptop has ArcGIS Pro installed
- Need an Internet connection when using ArcGIS Pro
- Need to sign on to the ESRI license portal when launching ArcGIS Pro
If you request a Node-Locked license from Map &Data Library, please skip the rest of the sessions. You should receive detailed information on how to download the software.
1. Go directly to the University of Toronto page on ESRI's service . Select the option to sign in "Using University of Toronto."
** If you have an existing account that is not linked to your UTORid, select the second option (ARCGIS) and log in with your existing ArcGIS username and password. **
Otherwise, enter your UTORid and the associated password.
Note: If you have already authenticated with your UTORid on another website (e.g. Portal, Blackboard, Acorn) in the same browser recently, you may not be prompted for your UTORid to log into ArcGIS Online; it will simply log in automatically.
You should now be brought to your homepage, like below, which indicates you have successfully logged in.
2. Click on your profile on the top right corner of your web browser.
3. Click on "My settings"
4. Click on "Licenses" and select Download beside ArcGIS Pro
5. Click Download to download the software.
6. Locate your downloaded installer and install ArcGIS Pro.
If you use the Node-Locked license, please skip this session.
1. Launch ArcGIS Pro
2. Click on "ArcGIS Online (University of Toronto)"
3. Enter your UTORid and password to authenticate your profile.