Phuong DaoPhD Candidate Dr. Yuhong He, supervisor
Research and Professional Interests
Phuong Dao is currently a PhD candidate in physical geography with a collaborative specialization in Environmental Studies in the School of the Environment, University of Toronto. He is working on a grassland drought project in the Remote Sensing and Spatial Ecosystem Modeling laboratory (the RSSEM Lab), under the supervision of Prof. Yuhong He. His PhD project focuses on investigating changes in grassland biophysical and biochemical properties, including leaf pigments, chlorophyll fluorescence, water, leaf area index, and biomass under drought stress by means of the integration of ground-based and airborne hyperspectral remote sensing, chemical experiments, and modelling. He also earned a Master of Science degree in Remote Sensing Science and Technology from the National Central University in Taiwan in 2015 and a Bachelor of Engineering in Surveying Engineering from Hanoi University of Mining and Geology in Vietnam in 2011.
Why Geography at UTM?
I chose UTM mainly because my research direction aligns well with my supervisor, Dr. Yuhong He. We have great support from other students in our research groups, with solid backgrounds in ecology, remote sensing and GIS, and wholehearted support from Professor He. Our laboratory is well-equipped to meeting practically every need of my research. The support from other faculty and the great graduate community at UTM is another feature that attracted me. In addition, the beauty of the campus, which is surrounded by forest and quiet environments, is also a great place for research.
Honours and Awards
- 2020 Mitacs Research Training Award, Mitacs/University of Toronto
- 2020 Arts and Science Program Fellowship, University of Toronto
- 2020 Doctoral Completion Award, University of Toronto
- 2020 Second Place, Student Honors Paper Competition, AAG Annual Meeting 2020
- 2019 Graduate Student Research Award of the Year, University of Toronto - Mississauga
- 2019 Best Paper Award, University of Toronto - Mississauga
- 017 Graduate Student Research Awards, University of Toronto
- 2016 Connaught International Scholarship for Doctoral Students, University of Toronto
- 2014 Award for the Excellent Oral Presentation, at the ICEO&SI2014 Conference
- 2013 NCU International Student Scholarship-Master, National Central University
- 2011 Second Prize, Hanoi University of Mining and Geology Student Scientific Competition
- 2011 Award for Outstanding Students, Hanoi University of Mining and Geology
- 2010 Award for Outstanding Students, Hanoi University of Mining and Geology
- 2009 Scholarship for Excellent Students, Hanoi University of Mining and Geology
- 2008 Third Prize, National Physics Olympiad, Vietnam
- 2008 Award for Outstanding Students, Hanoi University of Mining and Geology
- 2007 Scholarship for Excellent Students, Hanoi University of Mining and Geology
- Mantripragada, K., Dao, P.D., Qureshi, F., He, Y. 2020. Spectral Compression and Denoising on Hyperspectral images with Deep Autoencoders. Canadian Journal of Remote Sensing. (Under review)
- Bui, L. K., Le, P. V. V., Dao, P. D., Nguyen, L. Q., Nguyen, H. V., Tran, H. H., Xie, L. 2020. Recent Land Deformation Detected by Sentinel-1A InSAR Data (2016–2019) over Hanoi, Vietnam and the Relationship with Groundwater Level Change. GIScience & Remote Sensing. (Revising)
- Dao, P.D., Mantripragada, K., He, Y., Qureshi, Z.F. 2020. Improving hyperspectral image segmentation by applying inverse noise weighting and outlier removal for optimal scale selection. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing. (Revising)
- Proctor, C., Dao, P.D., He, Y. 2020. Close-range, heavy-duty hyperspectral imaging for tracking drought impacts using the PROCOSINE model. Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy and Radiative Transfer. (Under review)
- Lu, B., Dao, P. D., Liu, J., He, Y., Shang, J. 2020. Recent Advances of Hyperspectral Imaging Technology and Applications in Agriculture. Remote Sensing, 12(16), 2659.
- Laamrani, A., Berg, A., Voroney, P., Feilhauer, H., Blackburn, L., March, M., Dao, P.D., He, Y., Martin, R.C. 2019. Ensemble identification of spectral bands related to soil organic carbon levels over an agricultural field in southern Ontario, Canada. Remote Sensing, 11(11), 1298.
- Dao, P.D., Mong, N.T., Chan, H.-P. 2019. Landsat-MODIS image fusion and object-based image analysis for observing flood inundation in a heterogeneous vegetated scene. GIScience & Remote Sensing, 56(8), 1148–1169.
- Lu, B., He, Y., Dao, P.D. 2019. Comparing the performance of multispectral and hyperspectral images for estimating vegetation properties. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 12(6), 1784–1797.
- Dao, P.D., He, Y., Lu, B. 2019. Maximizing the quantitative utility of airborne hyperspectral imagery for studying plant physiology: An optimal sensor exposure setting procedure and empirical line method for atmospheric correction. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 77, 140–150.
- Chan, H.-P., Chang, C.-P., Dao, P.D. 2017. Geothermal anomaly mapping using Landsat ETM+ data in Ilan Plain, Northeastern Taiwan. Pure and Applied Geophysics, 175, 303–323.
- Dao, P.D., Liou, Y.-A. 2015. Object-based flood mapping and affected rice field estimation with Landsat 8 OLI and MODIS data. Remote Sensing, 7(5), 5077–5097.