Annie Yachen YuanMA Student Dr. Tenley Conway, supervisor
Research and Professional Interests
I have an undergraduate background in urban forestry, landscape planning and environmental management. For my graduate research, I want to delve further into the topic of social-environmental relationships and examining resident’s knowledge and stewardship on green infrastructure (GI). Public awareness and involvement are essential for green infrastructure development and policy implementation but there are limited studies on understanding resident’s knowledge on GI and their willingness to install GI on their property. My research will contribute to analyze urban resident’s current cognitive level on GI and help identify barriers on GI planning and management.
Why Geography at UTM?
I chose UTM because I have deep-rooted interests in environmental geography, urban forestry, and social-environmental relationships; the current green infrastructure project led by my supervisor Dr. Tenley Conway is especially appealing to my research interests. Furthermore, the faculty provides graduate students with great financial support, research environments, and networking opportunities that facilitate my graduate work.
Honours and Awards
- 2020 - 2021 John Horner Graduate Scholarship in Geography
- 2019 - 2020 University of Toronto Fellowship and Tuition Award
- 2019 - 2020 Graduate Expansion Fund – University of Toronto, Mississauga
- 2018 - 2019 Dean’s Honour Roll – University of British Columbia
- 2015 - 2016 Ernest H. Gunter Memorial Scholarship – University of New Brunswick
- Yuan, A.Y. & Conway, T. (May 2020), “Examining Urban Residents’ Knowledge and Attitudes towards Green Infrastructure in Philadelphia”. Oral presentation at the International Association for Landscape Ecology – North American (IALE-NA) Annual Meeting