Organizations for Women in STEM
Women have made significant contributions to science from the earliest times; however, there still exists a gender gap with women in STEM fields being paid less and not progressing as far as men in their careers!
Below are some of the organizations that support women scientists:
- The L'Oréal-UNESCO For Women in Science Awards - a pioneering programme for the promotion of women in science! UNESCO and theL'Oreal Corporate Foundation seek to recognise women researchers who, through the scope of their work, have contributed to overcoming today's global challenges.
- 500 Women Scientists - was established to build an inclusive scientific community dedicated to training a more diverse group of future leaders in science and to use the language of science to bridge divides and enhance global diplomacy.
- Society of Canadian Women in Science and Technology - is a non-profit assocation that promotes, encourages, and empowers women and girls in science, engineering, and technology.
- Earth Science Women's Network - is an international peer-mentoring network of women in the Earth Sciences. Their mission is to promote career development, build community, provide opportunities for informal mentoring and support, and facilitate professional collaborations.
- Women in Physics Canada - is a renowned annual national conference that brings together more than a hundred members from the student community, faculty, postdoctoral researchers and professionals from the private sector working in fields related to physics.
- Committee to Encourage Women in Physics - was initiated in 1983 to increase representation of women in physics.