Important health information for students travelling over the break
Are you travelling over the winter break? International and domestic travellers should follow proper safety precautions to stop the spread of COVID-19. Please ensure that you familiarize yourself, and follow the local public health guidance of your destination.
- reduce close contact with others 10 to 14 days before travelling and after returning to residence. If travelling internationally, make sure you are aware of the COVID-19 requirements for entry to the country you intend to visit and the requirement to quarantine on your return to Toronto. (See below for a checklist from UTM’s International Education Centre.)
- Ontario is no longer covering the cost for COVID-19 tests required for international travel.
- limit social gatherings to those you are living with and avoid contact with individuals at higher risk of severe COVID-19 disease
- practice proper physical distancing
- wear a face covering inside common spaces and when you are with others
- wash your hands thoroughly and regularly
- continue to screen yourself daily for symptoms compatible with COVID-19
- get tested if you have symptoms compatible with COVID-19, or if you’ve been advised of exposure by your local public health unit or through the COVID Alert mobile app
UTM’s International Education Centre offers the following tips for international students travelling over the break:
Holiday Travel Checklist for International Students
If you intend to travel:
- Check travel restrictions at your destination and any connection/layover flights
- Review the quarantine requirements at your destination and follow the corresponding government regulations
- Ensure you have the right immigration documents to enter your country of destination and any countries with layovers or connecting flights
If you plan on traveling/returning to Canada:
- Ensure you have a valid study permit and entry visa or eTA
- Register for the U of T Quarantine plan
- The university is providing support for students arriving from outside Canada who must complete a mandatory quarantine. Whether you intend to live in UTM residence or quarantine on your own, make sure to register for the UofT https://www.viceprovoststudents.utoronto.ca/covid-19/#Quarantine
- Register with ArriveCAN
- Complete the required quarantine. If you are arriving from outside of Canada, a 14-day quarantine is currently required upon arrival in Canada. The Government of Canada has outlined the requirements for Mandatory Quarantine for Travelers to Canada.
For further information or support: