Evacuation Procedures for Occupants
Upon Discovery of Fire
- Leave the fire area immediately; proceed to the nearest exit and meet in designated safe area.
- Activate the fire alarm system by pulling a manual pull station and provide assistance to those who need help to evacuate.
- Close all doors behind you.
- Call the Mississauga Fire and Emergency Services (Dial 9-911) from a safe place (never assume this has been done). Know and give the correct address and location of the fire in the building.
- Do not return until the Chief Fire Official has declared the situation safe.
Upon Hearing an Alarm Signal or Being Made Aware of a Fire
- Proceed to the nearest exit. Assist occupants to evacuate the building.
- If doors are encountered on the way to an exit, feel the knob for heat before opening the door. If it is not hot, brace yourself against the door and open it slightly. If you feel air pressure or a hot draft, close the door quickly and proceed to an alternate exit.
- If you encounter smoke, consider using an alternate exit.
- DO NOT RETURN until the Chief Fire Official has declared the situation safe
If You Become Trapped
- If in a room, attempt to keep smoke from entering the room.
- Use duct tape (if available) to seal cracks around doors. Place a towel or piece of clothing, preferably wet, at the bottom of the door to prevent smoke from entering.
- Keep low to the floor where the air is cleaner.
- Attempt to contact authorities to advise them of your location. Dial 9-911, then, if possible, signal to the firefighters.
General Occupants are advised to:
- Be fully acquainted with the fire protection installations that are provided for your safety.
- Contact your supervisory staff should you have questions regarding fire emergency procedures.
- Know the building address – 3359 Mississauga Road, Mississauga, Ontario.