Eagles Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

In what association does the UTM Varsity Eagles compete?

U of T Mississauga Varsity teams compete in the Ontario Colleges Athletic Association (OCAA), which is the coordinating body for the intercollegiate sports within the Ontario colleges (i.e. Humber, Sheridan, George Brown, Seneca etc.). The 29 OCAA member institutions have the opportunity to compete in league and tournament sports. Teams can compete at both the provincial and national level. Provincial champions, representing Team Ontario, go on to compete nationally within the Canadian Colleges Athletic Association (CCAA). The CCAA is the national governing sport body for intercollegiate sports for Canadian colleges. For more information, vist www.ocaa.com.

What Varsity Sports does UTM offer?

  • The UTM Eagles compete in Badminton, Cross Country, Women's & Men's Soccer, and Women's & Men's Basketball.

What do I need to do to tryout & when are tryouts held?

  • Students must register on VBRS prior to tryouts. For complete steps on how to register, visit the Varsity Athlete Registration page

  • Tryouts for Varsity teams can begin as early as mid-August! For a complete list of Open Tryout dates and locations, please visit the Tryout page.

  • If you missed a tryout, not to worry! Our teams recruit talented student-athletes yearround. Please visit the Varsity Staff Directory page and contact the Head Coach of the team you're interested in joining.

What does being a UTM Varsity Eagles athlete entail?

  • Each UTM Varsity team season operates differently, whether competing in league format (Basketball and Outdoor Soccer) or in tournaments (Cross Country, Badminton, and Indoor Soccer).
  • Student-athletes can generally expect to train 2-4 times per week with 2 hour team practices and strength & conditioning sessions, in addition to regular competition. Teams compete both at UTM and across the province & nation. 
  • Travel, uniforms, practice apparel, overnight accomodation, athletic therapy, and team meals are all covered when as a memebr of a UTM Varsity team!

Who's eligible to compete for the UTM Varsity teams?

  • UTM student-athletes must be registered in full-time undergraduate or graduate studies at U of T. For undegrads, students must be registered in 1.5 courses per semester they are competing. For graduate studies, students must be registered with full-time status. All student-athletes are required to maintain a CGPA of 1.5+ at all times

What if I don't make the Varsity team, are there other sport teams I can join on the UTM campus?

  • YES! UTM offers a breadth of competitive and recreational sport opportunities to UTM students, with sports including Volleyball, Ice Hockey, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Flag Football, Ultimate Frisbee, and more! 

    For more information, visit the Intramural Sports page to find the team for you!

NOTE: Please note that U of T students cannot tryout from the University of Toronto's Varsity Blues (OUA) and University of Toronto Mississauga's Varsity Eagles (OCAA) in the same year. Students who tryout for the Blues and do not make the team, who then want to play for the UTM Eagles will have to sit out one calendar year prior to competing. This eligibility rule is set by the OCAA Governing Body. More information can be found by reviewing the OCAA Eligibility Guidelines.

For any additional questions about the UTM Varsity Eagles, please email Brittany Tierney, Varsity Program Administrator at brittany.tierney@utoronto.ca