What is a formal petition for the UTM Department of Anthropology?
A formal petition is a special request submitted from a University of Toronto undergraduate student to the Department of Anthropology at the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM). This is NOT the same as petitions handled by the UTM Office of the Registrar.
Should I submit a formal petition to UTM Anthropology?
You must have strong and valid reasons for submitting a formal petition to the Department of Anthropology. A formal petition is only used in special circumstances, such as:
- you want to take a UTM Anthropology course but you don't have the prerequisite AND the course is not full during the first week of classes (see exeptions above);
- you have been removed from a UTM Anthropology course because you don't have the prerequisite AND the course is not full during the first week of classes (see exceptions above);
- you want to enrol in a UTM Anthropology program but you don't meet the entry requirements.
The following information can help you to decide whether your request is suitable for a formal petition:
- Review our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) page.
- Consider whether you have strong and valid reasons for your request.
- If you require additional guidance, please contact the Undergraduate Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to submit a formal petition to UTM Anthropology
Submit the online Formal Petition Form for UTM Anthropology.
If your formal petition is about missing prerequisites:
- DO NOT submit the form before the first week of classes (unless there is an international trip associated with the course and there is a deadline for the trip before the first week of classes).
- You must check the UTM timetable during the first week of classes to ensure the class is not full before you submit the form.
We no longer accept formal petition requests via email. Please DO NOT email the Chair or to instructor asking to make exceptions.
- There are no guarantees that your petition will be approved by the Anthropology Petitions Committee.
- The Undergraduate Advisor consults with the Chair and instructors as required.
- Since the Chair of Anthropology signs off on all requests, all decisions made by the committee are final.
- Requests without strong and valid reasons will not be considered.
- The decision will be sent to your utoronto email account.
- We will consider each request on a case by case basis.
- Please allow two business days (on average) to hear from the Undergraduate Advisor. We do our best to reply to you in a timely manner.
- You may be asked to submit additional information or documentation to support your request; this may add to the final decision response time.
- It is your responsibility to check your utoronto email account on a regular basis.