ANT101H5 Introduction to Biological Anthropology and Archaeology
Science for everyone
All registered UTM undergraduate students are eligible to enrol in ANT101H5 Introduction to Biological Anthropology and Archaeology. Even if you do not have a background in sciences, enroling in ANT101H5 can start you on the path to studying anthropology science subfields such as Biological Anthropology, Forensic Anthropology, Archaeology, or the Anthropology of Health, a focus that will be of particular value to students interested in pursuing careers in public health. Our Anthropology Science programs can be combined with many other programs as part of a double major for an Honours Bachelor of Science (HBSc) degree at UTM.
Discover new ways to see ourselves
ANT101H5 Introduction to Biological Anthropology and Archaeology is a survey of biological anthropology and archaeology. This course is a journey back through time where we will investigate the origins of our species and discover new ways to see ourselves. The material covered is directed to answering the question: What makes us human?
- Virtual Mystery Project opportunity (in Winter term ANT101H5)
- Introduction to cultural heritage management and archaeology
- Introduction to basics of biology and genetics, evolutionary theory
- Introduction to applied anthropology, for example addressing our cultural impact on the environment
- Learn how anthropologists use scientific method to study culture
- Primate and hominin origins, to modern humans and the first civilizations
- Special guest lectures
Please note: the information published in the UTM Academic Calendar takes precedence over information published elsewhere.
Prerequisites: There are no prerequisites. All registered UTM undergraduate students are eligible to enrol in ANT101H5.
Required for progams: ANT101H5 is a required course for all UTM Anthropology programs (Specialist, Major, and Minor).
When is this course offered?
ANT101H5 is usually offered in the Winter and Summer terms. Check the UTM Timetable for offerings.
How to enrol
Visit our Course Selection page for more information on enroling in first year courses for UTM Anthropology programs.