Statement from Ulrich Krull
Statement from UTM’s interim vice-president and principal designate, Professor Ulrich Krull:
UTM is such an exciting place, with a trajectory of growth that has transformed the campus and its place within the University of Toronto through its outstanding people, programs and spaces.
UTM has moved from its origins as a college of the Faculty of Arts and Science to a campus with representation from multiple faculties. In fact, it is ranked, in size, in the upper one-third of universities in Canada. This growth has been strategically planned, with a vision for the campus to be the university for the western GTA. UTM has invested in a strong core of humanities, social sciences and sciences, and has added select professional programs of great impact to the community such as the Mississauga Academy of Medicine and the Institute for Management & Innovation. However, this rapid progress is accompanied by some growth pains as UTM adapts to change.
The next year will be a time to address some of the most significant of these growth adjustments such as:
- continuing to hire world-leading faculty
- becoming even more ambitious in recruiting the best students
- working to develop a greater variety of academic programming
- improving experiential educational opportunities
- ensuring inclusivity of aspirations for all disciplines in UTM’s family
- addressing barriers to space in the laboratory sciences
- reinforcing the message that research at UTM competes with the best in the world.
The next year coincides with Canada’s 150th anniversary celebration and the 50th anniversary of the UTM campus. This will be a most opportune time for our community to rally together to lay the groundwork for success in the years ahead. It is my great privilege to be part of our UTM community, and now to have the opportunity to facilitate the transitions that will make us even better.