LAUNCH is a great way to make friends with similar goals and interests. It's also a great place to find help and support when you need it. Having a mentor makes all the little bumps (or big bumps) in first year so much easier to deal with.
What is LAUNCH?
LAUNCH is an initiative that brings together the academic and community aspects of being a new UTM student in a way that supports your transition and student success. LAUNCH is a series of engaging and interactive weekly sessions taught by academically successful upper-year student mentors (LAUNCH Leaders) enrolled in your academic discipline.
Registration for LAUNCH 2017/18 will be available on ACORN in early July 2017.
How do I enrol?
This session is not for-credit, therefore there is no homework, assignments or tests. Successful completers of LAUNCH will receive recognition for their participation on the official University of Toronto Co-Curricular Record. All first-year students are eligible to enrol, and the session is free.
To enrol in LAUNCH, register through ACORN beginning in July 2017. All LAUNCH seminars will run in the Fall session. Please be sure to enrol based on your academic discipline as follows:
UTM101H5 LAUNCH: Business, Commerce and Management
For students in Commerce, Management/Business, and Economics only
UTM102H5 LAUNCH: Science, Mathematics and Psychology
For students in Life Sciences; Chemical & Physical Sciences; Psychology; Forensic Science; Computer Science, Mathematics & Statistics
UTM103H5 LAUNCH: Humanities and Social Sciences
For students in Humanities; Social Sciences; Visual Studies; Communication, Culture, Information & Technology; Theatre & Drama
What are the benefits?
- Knowledge and support from an academically successful upper-year student mentor (LAUNCH Leader)
- Gain familiarity with the campus and available resources
- Learn and develop academic skills required to be successful at university
- Engage with and become part of the UTM community
- Participation is recognized on the Co-Curricular Record of the University of Toronto highlighting the skills and competencies developed through engagement with the program
What are the elements of the program?
- Weekly Sessions
- Co-Curricular Events
- Engaging Faculty Events
- Winter Term Projects designed by your leader
Want to know who your LAUNCH Leader could be?
Check back in the summer to meet your 2017/18 LAUNCH Leaders!!