The goal of the Alumni Mentorship program is to tap into the vast professional experience of UTM alumni to help our students transition from student life to work life and assist in strengthening their self image and vision of their possible futures.
With the program we aim to provide experiential learning for our students by infusing our alumni community and resources into student life, in order to enrich the overall student experience.
We launched the program on Oct 25th, 2016 with over 40 mentors and mentees present! Mentees and mentors got to sit and share a meal and exchange stories & experiences with each other.
Mentors that were out of province were called-in so that they could still be part of the event, and meet their mentees.
Everyone got a chance to learn more about each other, make connections, and develop relationships that will last a lifetime!
If you would like to participate in future opportunities, you can find what we look for in Mentors and Students here
Expectation of our Mentors
We are looking for mentors who have graduated more than five years ago who are looking to reconnect with the UTM campus community. What is unique about this program is that we are looking for mentors who may be in the GTA, but also those who are living abroad and want to share their experiences from other parts of the world. We are seeking mentors who enjoy collaborative learning, who find helping others rewarding and who want to see others succeed.
In order to participate in the program you must:
- Willing to meet either face-to-face (or over Skype) a minimum of three times over the academic year
- Support a student’s professional and personal development
- Help your student in identifying and setting goals. Track progress and make changes as needed
- Provide guidance to help the student achieve goals
- Be open about your experiences; be it work, education or life in general, so that this program can offer a unique perspective and relationship.
- Approach the mentoring relationship with an open mind, professionalism and respect
Expectations of our Students
We are looking for student leaders that are interested in growing and learning from the experiences of a UTM alumni. Students will have the opportunity to connect with mentors in areas they are of interest to them. These may include mentors that are international or have international experience, have excelled in their profession, or have succeeded in their academics.
Student leaders interested in this program must be:
- Currently studying at UTM in 3rd year or above
- Able to fully commit to the time requirement
- Responsible and trustworthy
- Respectful of the mentor's time and experiences
- Open to gaining different perspectives
- Curious and understanding