FAQs for 2nd Year Students

Q: What second year Math courses are offered at UofTM?

A: We offer four types of courses: Calculus of Several Variables (MAT232H), Linear Algebra (MAT223H, 224H), Differential Equations (MAT212H, 244H), and a new course called Introduction to Discrete Mathematics (MAT202H).

Q: What is the difference between the courses in differential equations?

A: MAT244H is commonly taken by students in the mathematical and physical sciences. MAT212H is a course designed primarily for biology students. It does not fulfill differential equations prerequisites for higher level MAT courses.

Q: What is MAT202H?

A: MAT202H is a course in abstract thinking using algebraic structures as subject material. Part of its purpose is to prepare students for the course in Mathematical Writing in Third Year (MAT392H). It may be used to satisfy program requirements by current students.

Q: What are the nearest equivalents on the St. George campus to these UofTM Courses?

MAT202H has no precise equivalent on the St. George campus.
MAT223H and MAT224H and MAT244H are also offered on the St. George campus.
MAT232H is basically the first half of MAT235Y or MAT239Y on the St. George campus. MAT236H is basically the second half of these courses.

Q: How do the first two years of the specialist programs in Mathematics on the two campuses compare?

A: The Specialist program in Mathematical Sciences at UTM is a broadly based program balanced between theory and applications, similar to the "Mathematics and Its Applications" program on the St. George campus. This program prepares students for graduate study in applied areas, teaching, and professional careers. The Specialist program in Mathematics on the St. George campus is a highly intensive program in pure mathematics. UTM students who wish to take some of the advanced abstract mathematics courses on the St. George campus should consult the Department.

Q: I'm in another program, not Mathematical Sciences, and it says that I need a certain math course. Can I take another one instead?

A: You should ask the Department which sponsors your program.